The New York Giants seem to find themselves in a bit of a conundrum. The 2017 offensive line class looks to be one of the weakest in years, particularly at the offensive tackle position, and yet they might need to find a young starter.
On the bright side for many, the lack of many clear-cut top prospects at the top of the draft, with the need at the NFL level is hardly abating, presents an opportunity for lesser known players to make a name for themselves.
One of those players might be Sam Tevi of Utah. His teammate Garett Bolles is garnering potential first round consideration as a left tackle. Could the right tackle improve his stock over the draft process?
Height - 6 feet, 5 inches
Weight - 310 pounds
40 Time - 5.17 sec (projected)
- NFL frame with good height and weight
- Has a thick lower body that lends plenty of power at the point of attack, especially when run blocking
- Surprisingly quick to get to the second level
- Tenacious, plays with a mean streak
- Starts plays with good leverage
- Doesn’t appear to be a natural knee bender. Starts plays with good leverage, but pads rise as the play goes on
- Tends to lunge towards defenders, negating his power
- Knee bend and lunge combine to create questionable footwork and inconsistent hand use
Does He Fit With The Giants?
The Giants need help on the offensive line, but they need players who can contribute sooner rather than later. Tevi might be worth a later-round pick as a developmental or depth player because he appears to have potential. However, the Giants don’t have the time for him to work out his lower-body issues and reach that ceiling.
Big Board Rankings
Big Blue View - N/A
Mocking The Draft - N/A
CBS Sports - 442nd Overall
Draft Countdown - N/A
Draft Tek - N/A
The East-West Shrine game is an important opportunity for players like Sam Tevi. As an under-the-radar prospect, he won’t get many looks on film -- most evaluators will be concentrating on Bolles -- but he has the chance to distinguish himself with a good week of practice at the Shrine Game could go a long way towards boosting his stock.
He does appear to have some potential. He moves well in space at the second level and can generate movement at the point of attack. Perhaps he can build on those and be an eventual steal at the next level.