The Big Blue Big Board podcast wraps up its first look at the position groups of the 2019 NFL Draft. We saved the running back position for last, based on the assumption that the New York Giants won’t be drafting a running back highly — if at all — in the upcoming draft.
We felt that was a safe assumption based on the fact that they made Saquon Barkley the second overall pick in last year’s draft, and throughout the season struggled to find enough touches for Wayne Gallman (despite him being an effective runner in his own right).
However, as we go through the draft process it still pays to be aware of the the players at every position. Even if the Giants don’t use much (if any) draft capital on them, other teams will and it will play in to how the draft board shakes out. As well, some talented players might slip to the end of the draft, or go undrafted altogether, where the Giants might feel comfortable taking a flier to improve depth and potentially find a gem.
In this podcast we discuss:
- The state of the Giants’ running back position.
- What we look for in running back prospects.
- Could the Giants possibly draft a running back?
- Damien Harris and Joshua Jacobs (Alabama)
- David Montgomery (Iowa State)
- Myles Gaskin (Washington)
- Justice Hill (Oklahoma State)
- Bryce Love (Stanford)
- Rodney Anderson (Oklahoma)
- Small school sleepers: Devin Singletary (FAU) and Darrell Henderson (Memphis)
You can listen to the episode in your browser here or with the embedded player below:
Where to subscribe
Dan and Chris will be back early next week to preview the 2019 Senior Bowl.
You can also find us on all your favorite podcast apps:
Finally, be sure to check out the home page for all of the shows across the expanding Vox Media Podcast Network.