Good morning, New York Giants fans!
Instant analysis: Giants get much-needed CB with selection of Deonte Banks in Round 1 | Big Blue View
The New York Giants selected Maryland cornerback Deonte Banks, trading a fifth- and seventh-round draft pick to Jacksonville Jaguars to move up one spot.
Banks, who had some of the top scores at the NFL Combine, is an excellent fit in Wink Martindale’s defense. Banks still has some work to do on the finer points of playing coverage without getting grabby, but he’s versatile and should fit well in the Giants’ scheme and aggressive culture.
At 6 feet and just under 200 pounds, the Maryland product is a good-sized and very athletic corner who should immediately start opposite of Adoree’ Jackson.
More from Big Blue View
- New York Giants NFL Draft 2023 results: Giants select Deonte Banks, CB, Maryland in Round 1
- Giants fans react to selection of Deonte Banks in NFL Draft
- Diary of a Giants’ fan’s long day waiting for first-round pick
- ‘Valentine’s Views’: What will happen at No. 25, and more draft day ‘things I think’
- NFL Draft results 2023: Live blog, trades, updates, picks, and more
- Giants NFL Draft rumors: Pauline — Giants want a cornerback in Round 1
- NFL mock draft roundup: Kiper, McShay, Jeremiah, Schrager differ on picks for NY Giants
- New York Giants 7-round mock draft: Nick’s picks for the Giants
- 2023 NFL Draft prospect profile - Jaxon Smith-Njigba, WR, Ohio State | Drew Sanders, LB, Arkansas | Jalen Carter, iDL, Georgia
Other Giant observations
Wink may be the happiest guy in the building
The Giants surely will draft players who don’t visit, as there are plenty of other exposures during the pre-draft process — Senior Bowl, combine, pro day, private workouts. Schoen and coach Brian Daboll attended the pro days at Ohio State and TCU, so they were able to spend extensive time with prospects from those schools then.
But Schoen’s limited track record suggests he will favor players who had visits,
SB Nation Reacts
Welcome to SB Nation Reacts, a survey of fans across the NFL. Throughout the year we ask questions of the most plugged-in New York Giants fans and fans across the country.
Sign up here to participate in the weekly emailed surveys.
Around the league
Have a Giants-related question? E-mail it to email@example.com and it might be featured in our weekly mailbag.
You can find and subscribe to Big Blue View radio from the show’s home page
BBV social platforms
Follow us on social media
BBV on Twitter: Follow @BigBlueView
Ed Valentine: Follow @Valentine_Ed
BBV on Facebook: Click here to like the Big Blue View Facebook page
BBV on YouTube: Subscribe to the Big Blue View YouTube channel
BBV on Instagram: Click here to follow our Instagram page
BBV podcasts: Click here to subscribe to BBV Radio