EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. — The New York Giants fell to the Los Angeles, 26-25, on Sunday. The loss was the third straight for the 5-11 Giants. The Rams are 9-7 and on the verge of clinching a spot in the NFC playoffs.
Mason Crosby missed a 54-yard field goal with :35 to play that would have won the game for the Giants.
The Giants had a chance when Gunner Olszewski stunned the Rams with a 94-yard punt return for a touchdown with 3:27 to play to pull the Giants within a point. An encroachment penalty on Los Angeles on the extra point convinced Giants head coach Brian Daboll to go for two points.
The try failed, though, as a scrambling Tyrod Taylor missed a wide open Saquon Barkley, shuffling the ball behind him and into the MetLife Stadium turf on what could easily have been a successful 2-point conversion.
The Giants got the ball back at their own 40-yard line with 1:08 to play. A 31-yard Taylor scramble put the ball at the Rams’ 34-yard line. After a 2-yard loss, Crosby missed well short.
- Taylor finished 27 of 41 for 319 yards with a touchdown and an interception.
- Wan’Dale Robinson had six catches for 55 yards and a 24-yard touchdown run.
- Darius Slayton had four catches for 106 yards, including an 80-yard touchdown.
- Saquon Barkley had 12 carries for 39 yards.
Wan’Dale for the score!
A pick for Dane Belton!
Did he really do that?
- Safety Jason Pinnock was ruled out after suffering a foot injury in the first quarter.
CB Deonte Banks (shoulder)
WR Parris Campbell
S Gervarrius Owens
OLB Benton Whitley
C Sean Harlow
WR Dennis Houston
DT Timmy Horne
This was Banks’ first missed game of the season.
The Giants will finish their 2023-24 season with a home game against the Philadelphia Eagles. The time of that game has yet to be announced.