EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. — The New York Giants continued a lengthy run of season-opening futility on Sunday, losing to the Denver Broncos, 27-13, at MetLife Stadium. The Giants (0-1) have lost eight of their last nine season openers, beginning the season 0-2 or worse in each of those eight seasons.
The game turned late in the first half. With the Giants leading, 7-3, Denver had fourth-and-2 at the Giants 49-yard line with :48 seconds left in the half.
Teddy Bridgewater completed a 14-yard pass to Courtland Sutton. Three plays later, Denver scored on a 2-yard pass to Tim Patrick with :08 left in the half for a 10-7 lead
Denver took the opening kickoff of the second half and went 75 yards in 16 plays, taking 8:12 off the clock for a 17-7 lead. The Broncos converted four third downs and scored the touchdown on fourth down on a 4-yard Teddy Bridgewater to Albert Okwuegbunam paas.
Daniel Jones then fumbled at the Denver 13-yard line after scrambling for 9 yards, killing a possession that had begun at the Giants’ 25-yard line.
The Giants were never really in the game after that.
A Brandon McManus 36-yard field goal and a 70-yard touchdown run by Melvin Gordon III following a drive-sustaining personal foul penalty on Azeez Ojulari closed out Denver’s scoring.
- Daniel Jones went 22 of 37 for 261 yards and a touchdown.
- Saquon Barkley carried 10 times for 26 yards and caught a pass for 1 yard.
- Second-round pick Azeez Ojulari recorded his first NFL sack.
- Logan Ryan had 11 tackles, a half-sack, two quarterback hits, a forced fumble and a fumble recovery.
- Sterling Shepard had 7 catches for 113 yards, including a 37-yard score.
The Giants did make a few.
- Darius Slayton caught a 42-yard pass from Jones.
- Shepard scored on a 37-yard catch and run in the second quarter.
- Logan Ryan did this, temporarily saving a 7-3 lead for the Giants in the first half:
LOGAN RYAN SAID THAT'S MINE— Giants Videos (@SNYGiants) September 12, 2021
(via @Giants) pic.twitter.com/2QRJbtMqTJ
- Jerry Jeudy of the Broncos left the game in the third quarter with a lower leg injury after catching a pass at the Giants’ 13-yard line and getting sandwiched between James Bradberry and Logan Ryan.
The 0-1 Giants have a quick turnaround. They travel to Landover, Md. to face the NFC East rival Washington Football Team on Thursday Night Football.