Good morning New York Giants fans! Happy Saturday and welcome to week 7 of the 2021 college football season.
This weekend’s slate of games doesn’t quite compare last week’s showdowns, but we still have some intriguing match-ups, particularly early. The biggest games today are (12) Oklahoma State vs. (25) Texas at noon, and (1) Georgia vs. (11) Kentucky at 3:30 pm.
While the game between Georgia and Kentucky is expected to be a blowout — Georgia is a 21.5-point favorite. However, the matchup between Kentucky offensive lineman Darian Kinnard and Georgia’s dominant defensive line could be must-watch scouting tape.
We also have a look at on of the top defenders in the 2022 draft in LSU cornerback Derek Stingley Jr.
Prospect spotlight - Derek Stingley Jr. (CB, LSU)
Background: While LSU hasn’t enjoyed the consistent success of rival Alabama, they are a consistent recruiting powerhouse. They bring in top recruits every year, which in turn means they churn out top prospects in nearly every NFL draft class.
Case in point, cornerback Derek Stingley Jr. came to LSU as the consensus top player in the 2019 recruiting class and now projects as a potential Top 5 pick in the 2022 NFL draft.
Stingley has just about every trait that NFL evaluators want to see in a cornerback prospect. He is tall, long, fluid, agile, fast, and has the skillset to play in press-man coverage. Stingley looks to be a plug-and-play cornerback who can find a home in just about any defense.
- Twitchy athlete. Great quickness, agility, and closing burst.
- Good long speed. Able to stay with most receivers down the field.
- Quick feet and fluid hips. Easily able to transition and stay with receivers.
- Prototypical frame. Good length, with enough size to hold up against bigger receivers.
- Versatile defender. Plays outside, in the slot, and occasionally at safety.
- Able to play press-man or zone coverage.
- Takes solid angles in pursuit.
- Patient in coverage. Trusts his technique and athleticism and doesn’t flip his hips too early.
- Occasionally gets tunnel vision and can lose track of the play around him.
- Willing, but not a great tackler.
- Health is an issue. Missed three games in 2020, season-ending foot injury in 2021
Games To Watch
- (12) Oklahoma State vs. (25) Texas - Fox
- (17) Arkansas vs. Auburn - CBS
- (1) Georgia vs. (11) Kentucky - CBS (3:30 pm)
- (2) Iowa vs. Purdue - ABC (3:30 pm)
Subscribe to our podcasts
Finally, be sure to check out all of the shows across the expanding Vox Media Podcast Network.