The New York Giants established a 53-man roster on Saturday. That, though, is almost certainly not the 53-man group that will travel to Arlington. Tx. to open the 2019 regular season against the Dallas Cowboys.
The deadline for claiming players cut Saturday who are subject to waivers — those with less than four years of NFL experience — is noon on Sunday. Veterans with more than four years experience are unrestricted free agents who can negotiate with any team.
The Giants, incidentally, are No. 6 in waiver priority. That is based on the 2019 NFL Draft order and does not reset until after Week 3 of the regular season.
Here is the current 53-man roster and some thoughts on what the Giants did Saturday.
Cuts, Waiver Claims, Trades, Practice Squad Updates
- Former Giants find homes:
We have released long snapper John Denney and waived defensive tackle Vincent Taylor.— Miami Dolphins (@MiamiDolphins) September 2, 2019
Additionally, we have signed defensive tackle John Jenkins and long snapper Taybor Pepper.
Full Release: https://t.co/6G5iDCCZCN
- Giants roster move: LB B.J. Goodson waived, per reports
- Multiple reports indicate the Giants are signing wide receiver David Sills to their practice squad. Sills, signed as an undrafted free agent by the Buffalo Bills, was cut by Buffalo on Saturday. Sills is 6-foot-3, 211 pounds.
- Giants place Sam Beal on IR as roster moves continue
- Per Dan Duggan, tight end C.J. Conrad cleared waivers and will sign with the Giants practice squad. I’m actually surprised Conrad didn’t get picked up by anyone.
- Per Tom Rock, OLB Jake Carlock is signing to the Giants practice squad.
- Per Dan Duggan, the Giants are cutting Brian Mihalik to make room for offensive tackle Eric Smith.
- Multiple reports are indicating that wide receiver Alonzo Russell is being dropped from the Giants’ 53-man roster to make room for Cody Core.
- Per Matt Lombardo, the Giants are signing cornerback Corn Elder to their practice squad. Elder is the first known player not with the Giants in training camp to be added to the practice squad. He was a 2017 fifth-round pick by the Carolina Panthers. Yes, that is when Dave Gettleman was still GM in Carolina. Elder was on IR in 2017 and played in 13 games last season.
- Linebacker Josiah Tauaefa is joining the practice squad, per Dan Duggan.
- Former Giants backup quarterback Kyle Lauletta is joining the practice squad of the Philadelphia Eagles, per Lauletta’s agent.
- Giants claimed offensive tackle Eric Smith off waivers from the New York Jets.
- These players went unclaimed:
Among the players not claimed off waivers: former first-round draft picks WR Laquon Treadwell, WR Josh Doctson, QB Paxton Lynch and G Josh Garnett, as well as CB Teez Tabor, RB Josh Adams, WR Keelan Doss and OLB Jachai Polite. They are all now free agents.— Tom Pelissero (@TomPelissero) September 1, 2019
- Ex-Giant Bennett Jackson claimed by the Jets.
- Avery Moss among players claimed by the Miami Dolphins.
- Per Pat Traina, Evan Brown cleared waivers and will join the practice squad.
- Per Adam Schefter, the Giants are being awarded wide receiver Cody Core, formerly of the Cincinnati Bengals, on waivers. Cory had 13 catches for the Bengals last season, and has 30 in a three-year career.
- The Giants are signing DL Freedom Akinmoladun and WR Reggie White Jr. to their practice squad, per Ryan Dunleavy.
Giants Practice Squad Members
Per published reports:
DL Freedom Akinmoladun
WR Reggie White Jr.
C/G Evan Brown
LB Josiah Tauaefa
OLB Jake Carlock
TE C.J. Conrad
RB Jon Hilliman
DL Chris Slayton
CB Corn Elder
WR David Sills
As of now, two practice squad spots remain.