The New York Giants selected University of Richmond quarterback Kyle Lauletta on Saturday in Round 4 of 2018 NFL Draft, the 108th overall selection.
That sets up a competition between Lauletta and Davis Webb to be both the backup to and long-term successor for Eli Manning.
I had the chance to speak with Lauletta a few weeks ago, and he told me the Giants would be a good landing spot for him to begin his NFL career.
Lauletta said he would “absolutely” be happy to land with the Giants, where he would sit behind Manning and likely compete with Davis Webb to be heir to Manning’s throne.
“Being able to sit behind a veteran is a good situation to be in because obviously the transition to the NFL, the speed of the game and the complexity of defenses and all that is to a whole new level,” he said. “So being able to get a couple of years maybe to get acclimated and really learn and improve your game and be up to standard before you get some time I think that is a good situation.”
On the ‘Scout’s Honor’ podcast, Dave-Te Thomas of The NFL Draft Report lauded the selection of Lauletta, dropping a name that should excite Giants fans.
“I said back in March, I said back in April everything I saw out of Lauretta reminded me a lot of Phil Simms … Before all is said and done it could be Lauletta and not Webb as Eli Manning’s heir apparent.”
While he only has “decent” arm strength, Thomas added that Lauletta is “a guy with a quick release that allows him to make all of the throws in the short to intermediate areas.”
“I think Shurmur and crew are going to find they got one smart cookie walking into camp.” this year.”
Giants’ draft picks
The Giants’ complete list of selections is below.
- Round 1 (No. 2 overall) — Saquon Barkley, RB, Penn State
- Round 2 (No. 34) — Will Hernandez, OG, UTEP
- Round 3 (No. 66) — Lorenzo Carter, OLB, Georgia
- Round 3 (No. 69) — B.J. Hill, DT, North Carolina State
- Round 4 (No. 108) — Kyle Lauletta, QB, Richmond
- Round 5 (No. 139) —
Complete draft coverage
See our Draft Hub Page for all of our coverage. Here is some of what you will find:
- How will the Giants use Saquon Barkley?
- Right or wrong, Dave Gettleman building Giants his way
- Why didn’t the Giants trade the No. 2 pick?
- Why didn’t the Giants select a quarterback at No. 2?
- Giants have had mixed results drafting running backs in Round 1
Grade the pick
Vote in the poll below and let us know what you think of the pick.
What grade would you give the Giants’ fourth-round selection?
This poll is closed