Happy Monday, New York Giants fans. Tonight, we have a Monday Night Football matchup between the Minnesota Vikings (6-5-1) and the Seattle Seahawks (7-5).
NFC playoff implications
The 5-8 New York Giants still have a less than 1 percent chance of reaching the playoffs, but their path to the playoffs is now to get to 8-8, hope that’s good enough and hope that the tie-breakers fall in their favor among whatever group of teams also land with that .500 record.
If that is going to happen the Giants really need the Seahawks to defeat the Vikings tonight. If Seattle wins, they go to 8-5 and pretty much put a stranglehold on the first wild-card spot. That would leave the Vikings, Carolina Panthers, Washington Redskins and Philadelphia Eagles with six wins, and the Giants, Green Bay Packers and Tampa Bay Buccaneers with five.
The path to the playoffs remains steep and unlikely, with probably too many teams to climb over. Still, it becomes a little clearer with a Seattle victory on Monday night.
Via USA Today’s For The Win, here is the Giants’ complete path to that second wild card berth:
1. The Giants win out against the Titans (home), Colts (away) and Cowboys (home).
2. The Vikings lose three of four to the Seahawks (away), Dolphins (home), Lions (away) and Bears (home).
3. The Packers lose one more game against the Bears (away), Jets (away) or Lions (home).
4. The Panthers lose two of three to the Saints (home), Falcons (home) and Saints (away).
5. The Eagles lose two of three to the Rams (away), Texans (home) and Redskins (away).
Here is how to watch, listen to, and wager on the game. Use this as your open thread.
What: Minnesota Vikings vs. Seattle Seahawks
When: Monday, Dec. 10
Where: CenturyLink Field
Game time: 8:15 p.m.
Announcers: Joe Tessitore (play-by-play), Jason Witten (Color Commentary), Anthony “Booger” McFarland (Sideline Analyst), Lisa Salters (Sideline Reporter)
Radio: Sirus XM: National: Channel 88, Seahawks: 225, Vikings: 226, Westwood One Sports Radio Network: Play-by-Play: Kevin Harlan, Commentary: James Lofton, Sideline: Ross Tucker.
Prediction: Odds Shark predicts a 31-16 Seahawks victory
Online Stream: WatchESPN