Rosas not only won the game for the Giants, but almost certainly won his placekicking competition with Mike Nugent. Rosas went 4-for-4 on both field goals and extra points.
The Giants had a 34-14 lead, but gave it up. Stephen Gostkowski kicked a 55-yard field goal with 56 seconds remaining to give New England a 38-37 lead.
Rookie Davis Webb drove the Giants from the 25-yard line to the Patriots’ 30-yard line, making two key completions to Matt LaCosse and one to wide receiver Ed Eagan during the drive.
Now, the tough work of making the final roster decisions begins.
Who will be the backup quarterback? Both Geno Smith (10-of-11, 1 TD) and Josh Johnson (11-of-14, 135 yards, 1 TD) played well.
Several other players on the roster bubble had nice nights.
LaCosse had five catches for 60 yards and two touchdowns. He also had a nice block on a Shaun Draughn touchdown run. Travis Rudolph had three catches for 46 yards. Will Tye had four catches for 48 yards, but did have a fumble. Defensive end Kerry Wynn had a Pick 6.
NFL teams have until 4 p.m. ET Saturday to set their 53-man rosters.
Moments That Mattered
- Odell Beckham Jr. worked out. Beckham was seen on the field for the first time since suffering his ankle injury. He didn’t do any running in pre-game warm-ups, but this had to be a good sign. Especially since the Giants are in Foxboro, meaning Beckham was allowed to travel.
- Will Tye fumbling on the Giants’ opening possession. He’s on the roster bubble, and that won’t help his chances.
- Kerry Wynn’s 15-yard Pick 6. Just in case you were thinking Wynn wasn’t making the roster, that pick of Patriots’ QB Jacoby Brissett should answer that.
- Backup QB competition: Geno Smith went 10-of-11 for 111 yards and a touchdown. Josh Johnson answered by going 11-of-14 for 135 yards and a touchdown. So, what will the Giants do?
- Rosas passed his final test, making the game-winning field goal from a challenging distance of 48 yards.
NOTE: We will have lots of coverage for you beginning Friday morning as Saturday’s roster cut down looms. We will, of course, have “Kudos & Wet Willies.” Chris and I will both have 53-man roster projections. There will be a roster cuts tracker. So, come on back for all of that and more.
Taking some of your questions and doing a pre-season wrap upPosted by Big Blue View on Thursday, August 31, 2017