Odell Beckham Jr., Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, Jason Pierre Paul and Eli Manning all dressed for the game but did not play. Wide receiver Sterling Shepard did not play as he is recovering from an ankle injury.
Josh Johnson started at quarterback for the Giants, finishing the night 5-of-10 for 31 yards. Geno Smith relieved Johnson and went 10-of-16 for 114 yards and an interception. Davis Webb finished the game for New York. Webb threw for 31 yards on 5-of-10 passing.
Big Blue had five different backs get carries. Orleans Darkwa led the team in rushing with 18 yards on three carries. Jerell Adams led in receiving with three catches for 28 yards.
Moments that mattered
- The Giants got the scoring started in the first quarter following an interception of Pittsburgh rookie quarterback Josh Dobbs by Valentino Blake. The interception set up a 27-yard field goal by Aldrick Rosas.
- In the second quarter, the Giants defense intercepted Dobbs once again, this time by defensive end Devin Taylor. The Giants failed to capitalize on yet another possession, settling for a 30-yard field goal by Mike Nugent.
- The Steelers answered back in the second quarter with the third field goal of the night. Dobbs led the Steelers on a nine-play, 59 yard drive to set up a 48-yard field goal by Chris Boswell.
- The Giants, led by quarterback Geno Smith, then went on a nine-play, 47-yard drive to set up a 52-yard field goal by Aldrick Rosas, his second make of the night.
- Defensive back Donte Deayon muffed a punt right before the half, leading to a 28-yard touchdown pass by Dobbs to Cody Hamilton.
- Geno Smith started the second-half at quarterback, leading the Giants on a 12-play, 30-yard drive, ending with a 45-yard field goal by Mike Nugent, his second of the night. The make gave Big Blue the early second-half 12-10 lead.
- Authur Moats intercepted Smith in the middle of the third quarter and returned it to New York’s 14-yard line. The Giants defense held the Steelers to a 37-yard field goal by Chris Boswell. The make gave Pittsburgh the lead 13-12.
- Following a three-and-out by the Giants offense, Steelers’ rookie quarterback, Bart Houston, out of Wisconsin led Pittsburgh on a nine-play, 53-yard drive capped off by a 15-yard touchdown run by Terrell Watson. Following an extra point by Boswell, the Steelers led, 20-12.
The Giants will play in their second preseason game on Aug. 21, when they will head to Cleveland to take on the Browns. The game can be caught on ESPN at 8 p.m. EST. The Browns started their preseason slate with a 20-14 win over the New Orleans Saints.