With the NFL owners meetings in progress in Arizona, and both John Mara and Steve Tisch available to the press, there is plenty of New York Giants news filtering out. Let’s get caught up on some of that.
Brandon Marshall addresses owners, talks Eli ... and Geno
Giants’ wide receiver Brandon Marshall spoke to NFL owners on Monday at the invitation of Commissioner Roger Goodell. He was apparently well-received.
Easily the best speech I've heard at an @NFL meeting. Thank you @BMarshall— Jed York (@JedYork) March 27, 2017
Marshall also spoke to reporters about several other topics.
On Odell Beckham ...
"I've been on both ends of the spectrum. I've been a problem, and I also have a solution. I have a wealth of experience. I just think organically and naturally, whenever he needs -- not only him, but any guy in the wide receiver room -- whenever they need to pull from that, they'll do that in a natural, organic way. We got to remember that Odell is what, 23, 24 years old. We all have our own journey. He's the ultimate competitor. I want him to stay exactly where he's at. It's just easy for us as wide receivers and football players to cross that line. But he'll grow."
- Marshall said that he will work out next week with Eli Manning at Duke University.
- Marshall said that the decision by Geno Smith to sign with the Giants was “really good for Geno” and that “I’m excited to see him continue to grow.”
- Marshall shared some memories of playing in Oakland, now that the Raiders are moving to Las Vegas.
Giants not ruling out drafting a QB
SNY’s Ralph Vacchiano reports that the Giants enter the draft open to the idea of drafting a potential successor to Eli Manning, but not feeling as though they must do so this year.
"I think we have to start thinking about it," Mara said. "I think you always have to look at drafting a quarterback where you can. Our philosophy going into the draft -- at least mine -- is just take the best player. It doesn't matter what position he is. I think if there's a chance to take a quarterback -- it doesn't have to be this year -- then you should take him."
“ ... if the highest grade you have is on a quarterback, I think you have to look at the possibility of taking him," Mara said. "I don't know whether it'll be the case this year or not."
- Giants waiting for call back from Johnathan Hankins, agent | Newsday
- The Giants have noticed Jerry Reese’s ‘fantastic’ job | New York Post
- John Mara offered Packers $100 to fix hole from Odell Beckham | NY Daily News
- Giants co-owner Steve Tisch: Bob Kraft said we would've beat Patriots in Super Bowl | NJ.com