New York Giants’ quarterback Eli Manning was named co-winner Saturday night of the Walter Payton Man of the Year Award. He will share the award with Larry Fitzgerald of the Arizona Cardinals. The announcement was made during the NFL Honors ceremony.
Manning had been a finalist for the award a year ago.
Here is more from NFL.com:
Manning has served as the Chair of the New York March for Babies for the past seven years, and his efforts have helped raise over $25 million over that span.
The Giants signal caller also helps out with other initiatives, including the American Red Cross and his fulfillment of numerous Make-A-Wish and Wounded Warrior experiences.
"If we in the NFL and others in our communities commit to step in, we can lessen that struggle, ease that hurt, spark that hope," Manning said regarding the importance of helping others. "I challenge everyone here to help some person in need -- you choose -- but go out of your way to make a difference in someone's life. I promise you it's worth it."
Giants’ safety Landon Collins was a legitimate candidate for Defensive Player of the Year. That honor, however, went to Khalil Mack of the Oakland Raiders. Mack took the award by one vote over Von Miller of the Denver Broncos. Not winning does not dimish the incredible year Collins had, with 125 tackles, five interceptions, 13 passes defensed and four sacks.
The Pro Football Hall of Fame Class of 2017 was announced during the event. That group will be. LaDainian Tomlinson, Morten Andersen, Jason Taylor, Kenny Easley, Jerry Jones, Terrell Davis, Kurt Warner. Andersen and Warner both played briefly for the Giants during their careers.
Atlanta Falcons’ quarterback Matt Ryan was named AP Most Valuable Player.
- AP NFL Most Valuable Player Award - Matt Ryan, QB, Falcons
- AP Coach of the Year Award - Jason Garrett, Cowboys
- AP NFL Offensive Player of the Year Award - Matt Ryan, QB, Falcons
- AP NFL Defensive Player of the Year Award - Khalil Mack, LB, Raiders
- AP Offensive Rookie of the Year Award - Dak Prescott, QB, Cowboys
- AP Defensive Rookie of the Year Award - Joey Bosa, DE, Chargers
- AP Comeback Player of the Year Award - Jordy Nelson, WR, Packers
- Walter Payton NFL Man of the Year Award - Larry Fitzgerald, WR (Cardinals) & Eli Manning, QB (Giants)
- Art Rooney Award - Frank Gore, RB, Colts
- Assistant Coach of the Year - Kyle Shanahan, Falcons
- FedEX Air & Ground NFL Players of the Year - Ryan (Falcons) & Elliott (Cowboys)
- Castrol EDGE Clutch Performer of the Year: Derek Carr, QB, Raiders
- Bridgestone Performance Play of the Year - Mike Evans, WR, Buccaneers (one-handed catch against Falcons)
- Greatness on the Road Award - Le’Veon Bell, RB, Steelers
- Salute to Service Award - Dan Quinn, Falcons