In general, the offensive line isn’t an exciting evaluation, and the interior is usually less-so. Outside of top left tackles, fans and the media tend to gloss over offensive linemen in the draft process. But, just because they do the dirty work in the middle doesn’t mean guards and centers deserve less consideration.
We tend to look to a team’s needs first when approaching the draft, and with John Jerry entering free agency and age 31, the New York Giants could find themselves in need of a right guard. So, it makes sense to make a point to look at the top interior linemen.
We’ve already covered Forrest Lamp [Prospect Profile] so now let’s look at the other contender for the top guard in the draft, Indiana’s Dan Feeney.
Height - 6 feet, 4 inches
Weight - 304 pounds
40 Time - 5.09 (projected)
- Great frame for either guard position. Carries his weight well and has long arms.
- Good feet in pass protection, able to mirror defenders, adjust to stunts, and deal with blitzers
- Talented run blocker who consistently opens holes
- Relentless blocker who always looks to finish his blocks and pancake whenever possible
- Heady player who seems to understand both offensive blocking and defensive rushing concepts
- Needs to do a better job of dealing with bull rushes
- Probably can play both guard positions, but was only ever a right guard for Indiana.
- Missed the 2013 season to a Lisfranc injury and 4 games in 2016 to a concussion. Medical reports will need to be checked
- Seems best in zone blocking schemes, which could limit his appeal to the NFL
Does He Fit With The Giants?
A smart, nasty, right guard who can pass protect and run block? Yeah, he fits the Giants.
He might be best suited for zone blocking schemes, but the Giants had their best running production from inside zone runs, so that isn’t much of a problem. Draft stock for guards is a bit tricky to pin down, but the top ones generally tend to go around the bottom third of the first round. Picking a right guard at 23rd overall might not be exciting, but depending on how the board falls, it could be the correct move to make.
Big Board Rankings
Big Blue View - 28th overall
Mocking The Draft - N/A
CBS Sports - 33rd overall
Draft Countdown - 33rd overall
Draft Tek - 62nd overall
Drafting a guard is rarely exciting. However, with John Jerry a 30-year-old free agent and his likely in-house successor being Brett Jones -- a player who is largely untested at the NFL level -- it might be unavoidable. The Giants could look to replace Jerry in free agency, but if they prioritize re-signing their own younger free agents, the money might not be there.
Feeney and Forrest Lamp look to be locked in a dogfight for the title of top guard in the class, and the Giants might wind up drafting whichever one wins.