The New York Giants get back to work this week with OTAs on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday. The only media access of the week will be for Wednesday's session.
What we will be looking for
- With cornerback Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie back after skipping the last OTA media had access to, will we see first-round pick Eli Apple line up in the slot at all? To get DRC, Apple and Janoris "Jackrabbit" Jenkins on the field together Apple will have to spend at least some time in there. You would think the sooner the Giants begin that process the better.
Apple admitted last week that the slot is "just different from the outside."
"It’s not going to be an easy adjustment, for sure," Apple said. "I’m going to have to be in my playbook every day, talking to my coach and trying to pick the brain from other guys and get more experience out there."
- Offensive line configuration. Consider this the obligatory Bobby Hart mention. Many in the fan base are looking for a sign, any sign, that the Giants might be thinking about breaking up the John Jerry-Marshall Newhouse duo on the right side of the line. To this point, we have not seen Hart -- or anyone else -- get reps with the first team. Might that change on Wednesday? On top of that, backup roles are up for grabs. I will keep an eye on second-team configurations.
- Wide receiver competition. We have discussed the scramble for the final couple of wide receiver roster spots a few times, and we will probably continue to do so. It is one of the most interesting, and wide open, competitions the Giants have. During the OTA media saw last week, and via reports from Giants.com, it would appear that Geremy Davis, Tavarres King, Rogers Lewis and Darius Powe all had their moments to shine last week. Let's see who steps up this week. And yes, I know many of you are interested in French wide receiver Anthony Dable. I will keep an eye out for him.
- What about the other UDFAs? We mentioned a few of the wide receiver candidates, but there are undrafted players sprinkled across the roster who could emerge. Marshaun Coprich [Coprich interview] faces an uphill climb at running back. Defensive ends Ishaq Williams, Mike Rose and Romeo Okwara all have a chance. So do defensive tackles Marvin Lewis and Greg Milhouse. At cornerback, someone from the group of Matt Smalley, Donte Deayon [Interview with Deayon] and Michael Hunter could stick.
- Linebacker combinations. The way the Giants shuffled linebackers when we saw last week's OTA it is pretty apparent they don't have a preconceived notion of what they will do beyond Devon Kennard starting. I will watch for the combinations this week.
Remaining OTA schedule
Wednesday, June 1 (media access)
Thursday, June 2
Friday, June 3
Monday, June 6 (media access)
Tuesday, June 7
Thursday, June 9
Friday, June 10
Mandatory minicamp will be held from June 14-16 (media access)