The New York Giants' rebuilding of their defense started it off with a bang in free agency. However, their work is still far from done.
Defensive tackle is probably the deepest position on the defense, and the Giants probably have one of the best starting defensive interiors in the league. But that doesn't mean they can't still add talent there. Mississippi State defensive tackle Chris Jones is a surprise entrant into a stacked defensive tackle class, but he has the kind of upside that intrigues scouts.
- Great size for the position. Height, long, arms and carries his weight well.
- Former basketball player, Jones shows good agility in tight spaces.
- Can win with athleticism or power, flashes good hand use to win with technique as well.
- Can be disruptive behind the line of scrimmage.
- Shows a good motor, hustles to make tackles.
- Size, strength, and athleticism gives him positional versatility. Can play any defensive tackle position.
- Height means he occasionally struggles with pad level -- Not uncommon with college defensive tackles
- Loses track of the play occasionally.
- Conditioning and endurance concerns. Appears gassed at times.
Big Board Rankings
Big Blue View - Not in top 50
Mocking The Draft - 55th
CBS - 74th
Draft Tek - 66th
Does He Fit With the Giants?
Interesting question. Before the Giants' free-agent shopping spree, I probably would have given an unequivocal "Yes,"but also wanted a more "pro ready" tackle like Sheldon Rankins, Andrew Billings, or Vernon Butler. But with the addition of Damon Harrison, drafting a "developmental" player like Jones or Jihad Ward makes a certain amount of sense for the Giants.
On the other hand, the Giants already have Montori Hughes and Louis Nix in the building. If they believe that with some coaching they can develop into solid contributors (or more), then perhaps the pick is better spent elsewhere.
I just want to use this to acknowledge what happened at the Combine: Jones had a wardrobe malfunction while running the 40. Let's all remember what kind of website this is and leave the pics, videos, and gifs elsewhere and try to have some decorum and class.