Over the last few seasons, the New York Giants have routinely suffered a rash of injuries to their secondary. While hopefully improving the strength and conditioning staff will help to remedy the problem, adding younger, healthier players should be a priority as well.
If, how, and when the Giants address their defensive secondary will depend on free agency, and how the draft board falls for their various picks. If he lasts late enough, the Giants could find value in Minnesota Gophers corner Eric Murray.
- Highly competitive. Will match up with anybody and isn't afraid to mix it up in the run game.
- Well-rounded corner with a good blend of size and athleticism.
- Can play in any coverage, zone, off-man, or press-man.
- Core special teams player for Minnesota.
- While he has 18 passes defensed over the last two years (26 starts), Murray only has one interception.
- He can't quite match up against elite height/weight/speed receivers, he might be best served as a slot corner at the next level.
Big Board Rankings
Mocking The Draft - n/a
CBS - 129th
Draft Tek - 162nd overall
Does He Fit With the Giants?
Assuming the Giants come to terms with Prince Amukamara, Murray isn't likely to push him or replace him or Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie as a starter. However, he would be an effective backup outside, as well as a good addition to the Giants' special teams
Murray could, even would, be an upgrade over any of the slot corners the Giants fielded in 2015.
His size, fluidity, and football IQ could also make Murray a potential candidate for conversion to free safety if the Giants need him there.
Eric Murray is a bit of an "under the radar" player, but he could surprise some people when they sit down to watch him.
Murray was an interesting follow throughout Senior Bowl practices. He was able to cover every receiver he lined up across. That is, except, for Braxton Miller -- not that any corner could cover him at the Senior Bowl -- but Murray has enough of that "dog" in him that he never shied away from him.
He isn't especially big or fast, but he is smart and competitive.