Sometimes we can learn things simply from which guys are playing and which guys are not. With that in mind, let's look at the New York Giants' snap counts from Saturday's 22-12 preseason victory over the Jacksonville Jaguars.
The Giants wanted a long look at Geoff Schwartz Saturday and they got it. Schwartz, Justin Pugh and Ereck Flowers all played 40 snaps. John Jerry played 37. Marshall Newhouse played 33.
"I played for a while. I felt good. It was kind of like, "Hey, how you feeling?" I was like, "I'm good to go," and just kept going until it was time. It takes a lot of reps to kind of get back into rhythm, especially after last year. I didn't play last week, so I needed the reps. So I'll take them," Schwartz said. "I'm pleased with my effort for what stage I'm in right now. I'm happy with the way I did. There's always room for improvement. I think anyone will tell you that it wasn't perfect. I know there's plays I wish I had back, but I'm happy with the overall body of work tonight."
When the Giants return to practice on Tuesday it will be interesting to see how they align the right side of that line.
More notable snap counts:
- Ryan Nassib played 54 snaps. Eli Manning got 21.
- Backup center Dallas Reynolds played 43 snaps. Weston Richburg played 24.
- James Jones played 41 snaps, most of any wide receiver. Geremy Davis played 37. Corey Washington got 36 snaps.
- Brett Jones played 34 snaps, seeing action at center and both guard spots.
- Trevin Wade played a team-high 58 snaps. Bennett Jackson, with so many injuries at safety, played 56 before going down with a knee sprain. Jeromy Miles played 55.
- Safety Brandon Meriweather played 28 snaps in his Giants' debut.