The 27th pick of the 2015 Big Blue View Community Mock Draft is in!
27) Dallas Cowboys
GM - Beckhamunleashed
Pick - Melvin Gordon, RB, Wisconsin
Melvin Gordon is a value pick here for the Cowboys because he is the most explosive running back in the draft. If the Cowboys want to be able to contend for the NFC East Title again, they will need to replace the 1,800 yards that DeMarco Murray put up last year. Gordon rushed for over 2,500 yards in 2015 and has averaged 7.6 yards per carry over the past two seasons. He is a shifty runner who can be the reliable player in the back field that Jason Garrett needs to help balance the offense. While he won't be able to outrun defenders the way he did in college at the NFL level, he is the best option for the Cowboys at this point. Even if a deal is worked out with Adrian Peterson, Gordon would be able to spell Peterson and create a strong one two punch in the backfield. Gordon will be a long term back for the Cowboys for years to come.
This pick just makes too much sense not to happen, and I really don't want to see it happen... Which means its a good pick.
For all the praise the Dallas offensive line has gotten in the last year, I believe DeMarco Murray was the biggest factor in their success last year. Tony Romo got sacked more in (roughly) four games fewer passing attempts than Eli Manning and his patchwork O-line, and their defensive averages really weren't any better than the 2013 badness. The difference, to my eye, was Murray well over 400 touches last year and being annoyingly difficult to tackle.
Gordon brings a lot of the same qualities as Murray. He could grow to be a complete 3-down back and let them keep up the commitment to the run from 2014.
The Denver Broncos are officially On The Clock!
The Picks So Far
- Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Jameis Winston (QB, FSU) - Full Story
- Tennessee Titans - Marcus Mariota (QB, Oregon) - Full Story
- Jacksonville Jaguars - Leonard Williams (DL, USC) - Full Story
- Oakland Raiders - Amari Cooper (WR, Alabama) - Full Story
- Washington Redskins - Dante Fowler Jr. (DE/OLB, Florida) - Full Story
- New York Jets - Kevin White (WR, WVU) - Full Story
- Chicago Bears - Vic Beasley (OLB, Clemson) - Full Story
- Atlanta Falcons - Alvin "Bud" Dupree (DE/OLB, Kentucky) - Full Story
- New York Giants - DeVante Parker (WR, Louisville) - Full Story
- St. Louis Rams - Brandon Scherff (OL, Iowa) - Full Story
- Minnesota Vikings - Andrus Peat (OT, Stanford) - Full Story
- Cleveland Browns - Danny Shelton (DT, Washington) - Full Story
- New Orleans Saints - Randy Gregory (DE/OLB, Nebraska) - Full Story
- Miami Dolphins - Trae Waynes (CB, Michigan St.) - Full Story
- San Francisco 49ers - La'El Collins (OL, LSU) - Full Story
- Houston Texans - Shane Ray (OLB, Missouri) - Full Story
- San Diego Chargers - Ereck Flowers (OT, Miami) - Full Story
- Kansas City Chiefs - Cam Erving (OL, FSU) - Full Story
- Cleveland Browns - Marcus Peters (CB, Washington) - Full Story
- Philadelphia Eagles - Landon Collins (S, Alabama) - Full Story
- Cincinnati Bengals - Malcom Brown (DT, Texas) - Full Story
- Pittsburgh Steelers - Jalen Collins (CB, LSU) - Full Story
- Detroit Lions - Todd Gurley (RB, Georgia) - Full Story
- Arizona Cardinals - Eli Harold (DE/OLB, Virginia) - Full Story
- Carolina Panthers - DJ Humphries (OT, Florida) - Full Story
- Baltimore Ravens - Jaelen Strong (WR, Arizona State) - Full Story