If there's one thing the New York Giants could use, it's a pass rush. Fortunately, this draft is flush with pass rushers. One of those is Dante Fowler Jr. Now the popular opinion is that he most likely won't be available for the Giants to select at nine. Anything can happen, and it all depends on what teams look for. He very well could be available for the team and in my opinion, they'd be lucky to have him. Let's explore what makes him a terrific prospect.
- Well built, well proportioned athleticism and frame.
- Can time the snap very well.
- Plus awareness
- Bend/dip ability is very good and is compatible at the pro level
- Short area quickness is elite.
- Best motor of any pass rusher in the draft. Relentless.
- Very good at setting the edge against the run despite being a little light at DE
- Violent hands can usually fight off blocks
- Needs to develop pass rushing moves.
- Has no counter if an OL latches on to him, gets neutralized a bit too often
- A powerful enough punch will knock him off balance
- First step is too inconsistent. I don't see the explosion as consistently as with others like Vic Beasley, Bud Dupree or Shane Ray
Does He Fit With The Giants?
Absolutely. He likely needs to put on a few pounds, but he's got all the makings of a special double-digit pass rusher on the weak side. He is supremely versatile, and no doubt Steve Spagnuolo would be giddy to use him in much the way Will Muschamp did -- rushing him from the edge both with hand down as well as a stand up rusher, as well as rush at linebacker into every gap imaginable: A gap or B gap. He'd likely move Jason Pierre-Paul to the LDE position, but I think that's where he belongs in the first place.
Big Board Rankings
Big Blue View - 15
Mocking The Draft - 10
CBS Sports - 9
Draft Tek - 10
The only thing holding Fowler back from being a perfect prospect is the lack of explosion at times. That's admittedly a big problem and one that concerns me. Sometimes he jumps the snap perfectly, but other times he looks a bit sluggish. He also gets neutralized a bit too easily at times.
That being said, his motor is relentless, he's got terrific hip flexibility and can bend with the best of them. Hands are violent and he plays with anger. I'll take that on my team any day. Top 10 talent in this draft.