One name that is bringing up considerable buzz leading up to the draft is Kevin Johnson. Where did this guy come from? Do the Giants even need a cornerback? Does he fit? Let's take a look at why many draftniks and analysts are talking up this guy from Wake Forest.
- Superior quick twitch athleticism
- Plays with swagger. Fiery competitor that takes on opponent's best WR.
- Hips are exceptionally fluid. No wasted movement between backpedal and trail
- Good in run support
- Tracks the ball well in the air
- Long, thing frame
- Mis-times jumps at times when playing the ball
- Was called for a lot of penalties
Does He Fit With The Giants?
Yes. He can fit either a man or zone scheme. He's got incredible athleticism and knows how to play the nuances of the position well. He does a lot of little things well, including one of my favorite techniques that have become a Revis and Sherman special, which is "running the route" for the receiver and effectively (and legally) boxing them out on their route the entire way.
Big Board Rankings
Big Blue View - 77
Mocking The Draft - 54
CBS Sports - 26
Draft Tek - 48
The buzz is justified. He's got some holes in his game, but Johnson is on his ascent towards becoming a possible round one player. He's got the smooth athleticism and upside necessary for the position. I don't necessarily see a top 10 player, but I can see him going late in the first to second round. He's certainly identified himself as a player to look out for.