The New York Giants ran their preseason record to 4-0 on Friday with a 35-24 victory over the New York Jets in the 'Snoopy Bowl' at MetLife Stadium.
Let's take a look at some of the initial impressions from the game.
There was a lot of bad. Eli Manning was sacked twice and hit way too many times on other plays. He fumbled twice and threw two passes that could easily have been intercepted. One was dropped, another overturned via replay. The Giants offensive line was pitiful in pass protection. Will Beatty was badly beaten on one play. Geoff Schwartz and Brandon Mosley each got run over by Jets rushers on separate plays. Weston Richburg blew an assignment. All of those plays got Manning hit. Tight end Larry Donnell had two penalties in one series.
The flip side is there was actually some good. Manning completed 12-of-21 passes for 139 yards and a touchdown. He led the Giants on an 11-play, 91-yard touchdown drive at the end of the half, culminating with a 15-yard scoring pass to Rueben Randle. Manning completed four passes to Victor Cruz for 61 yards, the first receptions of the preseason for Cruz.
The Giants also ran the ball well in the first half with Rashad Jennings carrying 13 times for 67 yards (5.2 yards per carry).
So, not perfection by any means. There was, however, progress.
Still probably not enough pressure on the quarterback. Mathias Kiwanuka had a sack that was negated by a Giants penalty. The Giants gave up 85 yards rushing on 16 carries, an average of 5.3 yards per carry. They could not create any turnovers. Still, they gave up only 10 points.
Damontre Moore absolutely dominated the third quarter. He had two sacks, a fumble recovery and a tackle for loss. He continues to destroy opposing reserve offensive linemen.
Other Players of Note
- I continue to believe wide receiver/kick returner Preston Parker has a chance to make the 53-man roster. Parker certainly didn't hurt his cause with a 39-yard touchdown on a deep ball from Ryan Nassib in the third quarter. Parker caught three passes for 52 yards, added a 29-yard kickoff return and handled all of the punt return duties.
- Speaking of Nassib, the second-year quarterback has been on fire since the Giants demoted him to the third team after their second preseason game. The touchdown pass to Parker was a beautifully thrown ball. Nassib also threw a 31-yard touchdown pass to Corey Washington. He finished 8-of-12 for 103 yards.
- Each of the Giants fullbacks made noteworthy plays. Henry Hynoski caught a 3-yard touchdown pass from Nassib. John Conner threw a crushing block to spring Jennings for a 23-yard run.
- Rookie Andre Williams got the last laugh in his tete-a-tete with Jets coach Rex Ryan, scoring a go-ahead touchdown on a one-yard run in the fourth quarter.
- Corey Washington scored a fourth-quarter touchdown for the fourth straight week. This one wasn't a gam-winner, but the 31-yard score on a pass from Nassib provided the Giants with their final margin.
The Giants finish the preseason by hosting the New England Patriots on Thursday night at MetLife Stadium. Kickoff is scheduled for 7:30 p.m. ET