Despite their offseason overhaul, the New York Giants' roster is still in the bottom half of the league talent-wise. At least it is according to Pro Football Focus analysts, who ranked the rosters of all 32 teams in an 'Insider' post for ESPN. PFF's analysts placed the Giants 19th.
PFF placed projected starters in several categories, ranging from 'elite' down to 'rookie.' Here is the breakdown for the Giants:
- Elite (0) -- Sorry, Eli Manning.
- High Quality (3) -- John Conner, Geoff Schwartz, Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie
- Good Starter (7) -- Manning, Victor Cruz, Rashad Jennings, Cullen Jenkins, Jason Pierre-Paul, Walter Thurmond and Antrel Rolle are placed here.
- Average Starter (9) -- Justin Pugh and Prince Amukamara are among the players PFF lists in this group.
- Below Average Starter (2) -- J.D. Walton is here, which isn't a surprise. So is Jon Beason, and poor PFF grades or not that has to be a surprise.
- Poor Starter (0)
- Not Enough Information (2) -- Johnathan Hankins and Adrien Robinson fill this category.
- Rookie (1) -- Odell Beckham Jr.
PFF's Sam Monson writes:
The Giants are another team that recognized their biggest problems and tried hard to fix them this offseason. In their case, it was the offensive line, and free agency saw the arrival of J.D. Walton and Geoff Schwartz, while the draft brought second-round center Weston Richburg, giving them a plan B in case Walton doesn't pan out.
There aren't many glaring holes on the Giants' roster anymore, but their problem is more the absence of real difference-makers. Rashad Jennings showed he was a "capable" runner a year ago in Oakland, but he's little more than that, and the receiving corps now expects Victor Cruz to lead the way rather than complement a true No. 1 receiver.
The defending Super Bowl champion Seattle Seahawks are No. 1 on PFF's list, followed by the San Francisco 49ers. The Denver Broncos are No. 3.
Among NFC East teams, the Philadelphia Eagles are No. 5, the Dallas Cowboys No. 18 and the Washington Redskins No. 26.
Your thoughts, Giants fans?