Today we use our 2014 NFL Draft prospect profile to look at a player that fits the mold of the new wave tight ends in the class. If you're looking for the guy who looks most like Jimmy Graham this is the guy -- Austin Seferian-Jenkins of Washington.
- Looks the part at 6-foot-5, 262 pounds with 33.75-inch arms.
- Has a basketball mindset and was actually on the Huskies basketball team
- Productive player. School records for receptions, yards, and touchdowns by tight end. He has been very productive in the red-zone
- Plays fast and has good hands. He's a player who can stretch the seam and threaten opposing defenses
- Height/Weight/Speed specimen. Tools of a starting No. 1 tight end. (Does not have a 40 time because he missed combine)
- Does not block well for a guy with his size. Needs a lot of refinement in that area, though he does show a willingness to block
- Not a great route runner
- Didn't progress as much as you'd like-was better player last year
- Missed scouting combine due to an injury and has a DUI conviction on his record.
Player comparison: Mercedes Lewis (cbs sports)
Does He Fit With The Giants?
Yes. He plays tight end and the Giants need one.
@Jmpasq on twitter (draftbreakdown.com contributor). Couldn't find a 2013 video I could embed for some reason but if you follow this link there's a few there
Big Board Rankings
Big Blue View - 34th
Mocking The Draft - 29th
CBS Sports - 45th
Draft Countdown - No. 4 overall tight end
Draft Tek - 53rd
I like the Mercedes Lewis comparison that was given by CBS Sports and I think if he's that level of player that's good value for a second round player. Lewis is not Jimmy Graham, but he's had some very good years and know that the Jaguars quarterbacks have been incompetent the past few years he hasn't done much but in 2010 he had 700 yards receiving and 10 touchdowns. Seferian-Jenkins should be a reliable contributor on a NFL team with the potential to develop into a Pro-Bowl player.