Johnny Manziel is going to be the most talked about prospect in the 2014 NFL Draft. He has a penchant for big plays and big-time moments. Is the former Heisman Trophy winner a good NFL prospect, though? Everybody has an opinion on that.
- Improvisational skills to extend plays off the charts.
- Movement in the pocket is very strong.
- According to multiple teammates, he's a strong leader.
- Accuracy while rolling is a plus
- Mid-range accuracy is a plus.
- Penchant for big plays.
- Shrugs off pressure. Not phased.
- Slow windup to release.
- Height is an issue (though of course he could overcome it like Russell Wilson/Drew Brees)
- Temperamental attitude. His character is risky at any point.
- Arm strength is average.
- Footwork on deep drops not perfect, doesn't set his feet at times.
Does He Fit With The Giants?
I can pretty much guarantee the Giants will not draft Manziel. He'd likely be a good fit for a McAdoo offense where he might be allowed to improvise to a degree. However, like we know, the Giants will not be drafting a quarterback any time soon when they have Eli Manning and a developmental QB in Ryan Nassib.
Johnny Manziel vs Alabama 2013 (via JPDraftJedi)
Big Board Rankings
Big Blue View - 18
Mocking The Draft - 13
CBS Sports - 8
Draft Countdown - 32
Draft Tek - 12
Johnny Football will be a top 10 pick no matter how you slice it. The charisma, escapability, and the big-game experience (and yeah, GMs definitely consider those, regardless of how one may feel about it) are just too good for a team not to take. He's been constantly linked to the Cleveland Browns, and while it is silly season, that rumor very well could have a basis in truth. Manziel extending the play gets to throw to Jordan Cameron and Josh Gordon, who now have time to get free and wreak havoc. Sounds good to me.