Don't expect to see Hakeem Nicks return to the New York Giants in 2014. It has been apparent for a while now that the free-agent wide receiver would leave New York, but a report today that Nicks was "fined multiple times" by the Giants during the 2013 season would seem to push the Giants and Nicks further toward parting ways.
From #NFLGameDay: WR Hakeem Nicks is not expected back with #Giants. Besides disappointing play, he was fined multiple times by the team— Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) January 19, 2014
Rapoport reported that the fines were for Nicks being late and missing scheduled treatments.
Hakeem Nicks is not the only player to be late & miss treatment. He’s not a bad guy. But in a contract year, this frustrated #Giants.— Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) January 19, 2014
Nicks caught only 56 passes for 896 yards and no touchdowns in 2013, not nearly enough production from the player thought by many to be the Giants' No. 1 receiver.
During the season the question of whether Nicks was more committed to helping the Giants or to protecting his free-agent value was raised. In light of this news, draw your own conclusions.
What seems more obvious than ever, though, is that the Giants should plan to move forward without Nicks.
- NFC Championship Game 2014: Preview, game time, TV channel, announcers, odds, moreC
- AFC Championship Game 2014: Preview, game time, TV channel, announcers, odds, more
- Eli Manning-Ben McAdoo pairing key for Giants to rise again
- New York Giants' Positional Breakdown: Tight end
- Giants offseason philosophy to change with new offensive coordinator?