After Jadaveon Clowney, the question for most folks is....who's next? Who is the best defensive end prospect in the draft that doesn't come from South Carolina? The answer is Kony Ealy. He shares quite a few traits with Jason Pierre-Paul, but he's got more production to back it up.
- Length is incredible. Official arm length measurements haven't come out, but would not be surprised if he had at least 33-inch arms. He stands at a 6-foot-5, 275 pounds.
- First step is definitely above average. One of the top five in this class.
- Dip and bend are plus attributes. He is able to achieve great bend and flex at the hips at a height of 6-5.
- Active hands and a penchant to strip sack. Freak athleticism.
- Powerful upper body that can twist and contort and free himself from blockers.
- Inconsistent play. Sometimes it seems he takes plays off.
- Can get fooled by play fakes. I can see him struggling against the read option.
- Pad level can get too high sometimes and cause him to stall and lose leverage.
- Doesn't always drive with his legs and causes him to lose leverage. Technique issues.
- Disinterested in playing the run sometimes.
Does He Fit With The Giants?
A freakishly athletic speed based pass rusher that has great length and good weight. That sound like a Giant prospect or....? Ealy is an obvious target for the 12th overall pick by the Giants, who are desperate for good pass rush. Having him come off the edge with a revamped Jason Pierre-Paul on the other side could give offensive lines nightmares.
Kony Ealy vs Kentucky (2013) (via DCheeseB)
Big Board Rankings
Big Blue View - 20
Mocking The Draft - 8
CBS Sports - 15
Draft Countdown - 20
Draft Tek - 19
Ealy is the type of prospect that I feel Giants fans might boo on draft day, but will celebrate once he understands the nuances of the game. Like most defensive end freaks, he's rough around the edges, but the potential is undeniable. Do the Giants want potential, though, or do they want instant production? I'm not sure Ealy can provide the latter as he is, but I'll bet he likely will make some team exceedingly happy one day.
- Giants make Danny Langsdorf hiring official, completing offensive coaching staff
- New York Giants Super Bowl Winners: Which team was the best?
- New York Giants' news, 1/27: Super Bowl Week kicks off
- 2014 NFL Mock Draft: A new name connected to the New York Giants
- 2014 NFL Draft: Prospect Profile -- Marqise Lee, WR, USC