Let's take a look at a quarterback as we continue our 2014 NFL Draft prospect profiles. Do the New York Giants need one this draft? Spare me the jokes, folks, and let's be serious. We really don't think the Giants will be moving on from Eli Manning any time soon. So why do a profile? Simply because we want to investigate the possibility of these QBs going before the Giants' 12th pick and pushing an elite non-QB down the board.
The QB we'll be looking at today is Derek Carr, the consensus fourth quarterback at this point, behind Teddy Bridgewater, Johnny Manziel, and Blake Bortles. He is definitely in the conversation for a top 10 pick despite his low ranking. Why? Well, 5,082 yards, 50 TDs to only 8 INTs and a 68.7 percent completion percentage might have something to do with it.
- An absolute cannon of an arm. Probably the best in this class.
- Ideal frame, standing at 6-foot-2, 220 pounds.
- Athleticism will allow him to successfully scramble and even play a little read option.
- Accuracy when on the move is above average.
- Deep ball accuracy is above average.
- Struggles heavily under pressure. Breakdown in mechanics. Back foot throws.
- Low-end mid-range accuracy out of the top four to five prospects.
- Struggled in his only game vs. real NFL level talent. Threw for only 216 yards against USC on 54 attempts for 2 TDs and 1 INT.
Does He Fit With The Giants?
Nope. Don't need a quarterback. Even if the Giants did, Carr would not be the best fit with McAdoo. With the Kevin Gilbride vertical passing game, he'd certainly have a shot and likely be preferred to some of the other quarterbacks. However, his performance under pressure and his intermediate accuracy would prove to be bad fits in the new-look WCO-hybrid Giants and their porous offensive line.
Derek Carr vs Rutgers (2013) (via Adrian Ahufinger)
Do I think he actually goes in the top 10? Probably not. The one fit I can see is Minnesota, though they have a change in coaching staff so who knows what the result will be there.
- Giants among eight teams who could be forced to do 'Hard Knocks' on HBO
- 2014 NFL Draft: Prospect Profile -- Storm Johnson, RB, Central Florida
- Giants vs. Super Bowl contenders: New York didn't measure up to Broncos or Seahawks
- 2014 Senior Bowl: NFL Draft prospects for Giants' fans to watch
- New York Giants' news, 1/21: Mara, Coughlin will discuss contract extension