The New York Giants reached the regular-season 53-man roster limit Saturday, and some of the players let go by the Giants were a bit surprising. Quarterback David Carr, safety Tyler Sash, linebacker Kyle Bosworth and wide receiver Ramses Barden were among the vet were among the veteran players let go as the team trimmed its roster from 75 players to 53.
The full list of roster moves made by the Giants is as follows:
- Terminated the contracts of Carr and running back Ryan Torain.
- Waived Sash with an injury settlement.
- Offensive lineman Selvish Capers (knee) was waived/injured.
- Wide receiver Ramses Barden was placed on injured reserve with a knee injury.
- Defensive tackle Markus Kuhn was placed on the reserve/physically unable to perform list. Kuhn, who tore his ACL at Cincinnati last Nov. 11, must miss at least the first six games of the season.
- Safety Will Hill was moved to the NFL's reserve/suspended list. The NFL announced on July 20 that Hill, a second-year pro, was suspended without pay for the first four games of the 2013 regular season for violating the NFL Policy and Program for Substances of Abuse. Hill will be eligible to return to the Giants' active roster on Monday, Sept. 30, following the team's game the previous day against the Kansas City Chiefs.
- The following players were waived: defensive ends Adrian Tracy, Adewale Ojomo and Matt Broha; defensive tackle Marvin Austin; linebacker Kyle Bosworth; offensive linemen Eric Herman, Matt McCants, Stephen Goodin and Bryant Browning; safety David Caldwell; cornerbacks Terrence Frederick and Charles James; and wide receivers Kevin Hardy, Marcus Harris and Julian Talley.
What The Moves Mean
Here are some initial thoughts and observations.
The Giants will keep three quarterbacks, with Painter and rookie Ryan Nassib backing up Eli Manning.
Andre Brown, who has a fractured leg, is on the roster. He could be headed for IR/Designated To Return when the Giants can apply that tag on Tuesday. Michael Cox and Da'Rel Scott made the roster.
The Giants cut Sash and Caldwell and kept rookie Cooper Taylor. For now, Taylor is the only reserve safety on the roster.
The Giants kept Justin Trattou as a reserve defensive end instead of Tracy.
The Giants chose veterans Mike Patterson and Shaun Rogers over Marvin Austin, which is not really a big surprise.
The cut of Kyle Bosworth was a surprise, leaving the Giants will only five linebackers.
The Giants chose veteran Trumaine McBride over undrafted free agent Charles James at cornerback.
As we had speculated much of preseason the Giants kept four tight ends.
QB (3): Eli Manning, Curtis Painter, Ryan Nassib
RB: (4): David Wilson, Andre Brown, Da’Rel Scott, Michael Cox
FB (1): Henry Hynoski
WR (5): Hakeem Nicks, Victor Cruz, Rueben Randle, Louis Murphy, Jerrel Jernigan
TE (4): Brandon Myers, Bear Pascoe, Adrien Robinson, Larry Donnell
OL: (9): David Diehl, Chris Snee, Will Beatty, Kevin Boothe, David Baas, Justin Pugh, Jim Cordle, Brandon Mosley, James Brewer
DE (5): Justin Tuck, Jason Pierre-Paul, Mathias Kiwanuka, Damontre Moore, Justin Trattou
DT (5): Linval Joseph, Cullen Jenkins, Shaun Rogers, Johnathan Hankins, Mike Patterson
LB (5): Dan Connor, Keith Rivers, Spencer Paysinger, Mark Herzlich, Jacquian Williams
CB (6): Corey Webster, Prince Amukamara, Aaron Ross, Terrell Thomas, Jayron Hosley, Trumaine McBride
S (3): Antrel Rolle, Ryan Mundy, Cooper Taylor
K: Josh Brown
P: Steve Weatherford
LS: Zak DeOssie
A reminder that waiver claims will be awarded on Sunday, so if the Giants receive any players the 53-man roster will change.
Your thoughts, Giants, fans?