Here are a few leftover tidbits from Sunday's second day of practice for the New York Giants. The third practice of training camp will be Monday afternoon at 1:30 p.m. ET at the Quest Diagnostics Training Center.
Center David Baas took some snaps during 11-on-11 drills on Sunday. Baas had multiple surgeries in the off-season and is being cautious as he prepares for the 2013 season.
"My goal was to be out there and be with my teammates and with all the stuff ... it was definitely something I was looking forward to. I've got to be smart about it. They have me on limited reps right now," Baas said. "I'll be full-go, for sure, but we're going to be smart about it and if there's sometimes where we've got to cutback a little bit then that's what we do. We want to make sure we're ready to go this season because there are big things ahead of us and we're really excited."
[Related: SB Nation's Complete NFL Coverage]
Linebacker Dan Connor called his arrest at a Philadelphia airport on a weapons charge a "misunderstanding."
"I was flying out to a wedding in Pittsburgh, a friend of mine's wedding, and I had a pocket knife in my bag that I didn't even know about. I hadn't seen it in over a year so I was a little shocked when they pulled it out. But it's something I have to deal with now," Connor said. "I was here all offseason, I was able to lay a foundation, hopefully the coaches got to know that that's not the kind of guy I am. But, you know, same thing. I'm responsible for it and I have to accept any punishments handed out."
Second-year wide receiver Reuben Randle has picked up in training camp where he left off during the off-season program -- looking like a player ready to make a bigger impact this season.
"I just want to go out there and make more plays, I think we left a lot of them out there last season that could have at least gotten us into the playoffs and had a chance to go into the Super Bowl so I feel like we could make up on that year and come out this season and make a lot of more plays," Randle said.
Head coach Tom Coughlin is hoping to see a return to the days when the Giants dominated games defensively.
"Physical, New York Giant defense; tough, physical and hard-nosed defense. We're not that far removed from that and hopefully we'll get right back to it," Coughlin said. "You have to get an identity. You have to represent something. You have to be there week in and week out. You have to have that kind of consistency and you have to control the line of scrimmage. You have to stop the run first before you can rush the pass and we're capable of both, but we're certainly going to get tested in both areas."
Around the Inter-Google
More from Big Blue View
- Will Hill: 'Stressful times' led to drug use
- Giants Training Camp: Day 2 practice report
- New York Giants Training Camp: Day 2 open thread
- Fantasy Football Dynasty Darlings
- Justin Tuck faces the questions one more time
- Eli Manning signs autographs. [Jim O'Connor-USA TODAY Sports]
- Hakeem Nicks and Victor Cruz appar to working on their dance moves. [Jim O'Connor-USA TODAY Sports]
- David Carr smiles during stretching. [Jim O'Connor-USA TODAY Sports]
- David Diehl during practice. [Jim O'Connor-USA TODAY Sports]
- Eli Manning takes a snap with David Baas at center and James Brewer at right guard. [Jim O'Connor-USA TODAY Sports]
- Tom Coughlin gives instructions. [Jim O'Connor-USA TODAY Sports]
- Rookie tight end Chase Clement hauls in a pass. [Jim O'Connor-USA TODAY Sports]
- Giants' quarterbacks and coaches watch Ryan Nassib play. [Jim O'Connor-USA TODAY Sports]
- Wide receiver Brandon Collins grabs a long pass. [Jim O'Connor-USA TODAY Sports]
- Chris Snee and Da'Rel Scott on Autograph Day. [Jim O'Connor-USA TODAY Sports]
- Zad DeOssie interacts with the fans. [Jim O'Connor-USA TODAY Sports]
- David Wilson signs autographs. [Jim O'Connor-USA TODAY Sports]