Jason Pierre-Paul said Wednesday that he wants to play again this season.
"I hope so," said Pierre-Paul, sidelined by a shoulder injury he originally suffered in Week 10 vs. the Oakland Raiders. "I'm taking it day-by-day. I'm in the training room 24/7. Even at home I'm doing rehab. I'm doing everything that I possibly can to put me back on the field."
"I can't really give you an answer on that right now. The only thing that I can do right now is to take it day-by-day and I'll continue to come in and get treatment twice daily and rehab it," Pierre-Paul said. "As far as playing, I can't really tell you when I'm going to play."
Pierre-Paul said he does not believe the shoulder will require surgery.
"I don't think so. I hope not. That would set me back some more, I hope not. I'm pretty sure it's nothing that needs surgery on, it just needs rest," Pierre-Paul said. "I've been rehabbing it 24/7, even at home, so hopefully it can get better before the season's over with."
Following offseason back surgery the entire 2013 season has been a struggle for Pierre-Paul, who has only two sacks.
"This season has been up and down for me. I'm not frustrated at it. At the end of the day I just have to get better and get healthy and come out and know what I can do best and that's play football," Pierre-Paul said. "For me not playing, it's very frustrating but at the end of the day I'd rather get healthy than put myself in jeopardy out there."
- Giants' Injury Report: Jason Pierre-Paul
- Tom Coughlin: Manning-Rivers trade a 'win-win situation'
- Justin Tuck named NFC Defensive Player of the Week
- Eli Manning and Philip Rivers: A look back at the trade
- Fantasy Football Week 14: Start/sit, waiver-wire advice
- Giants vs. Chargers 2013: Complete coverage of Week 14 matchup
- Giants at Chargers 2013: First look at Sunday's matchup
- New York Giants' news, 12/4: Is Justin Tuck's future in New York?
- Giants' rookie Justin Pugh 'just trying to learn'
- Giants vs. Chargers 2013 odds: Giants 3-point underdogs