New York Giants' coach Tom Coughlin touched on a wide array of topics Thursday during his weekly meeting with reporters. Here is some of what Coughlin discussed.
On the extra time between last Thursday's game against the Chicago Bears and Monday's game vs. the Minnesota Vikings:
"It's not a bye week. It was an opportunity for us to be able to have some downtime, for players to recover, if you will. Hopefully that's going to be a plus for us. We worked Monday and now we're here, this is officially a Wednesday for us, so hopefully as I said, we've got a few more guys out there and what we're looking for is the progress thing, from one day to the next with no setbacks."
On how quickly new running back Peyton Hillis can get up to speed:
"Hillis knows the offense, he knows the terminology, that helps a lot. He's a bigger back. He caught the ball very well in the workout. He's been around. He's a veteran football player. We know he can handle the first and second down stuff, and hopefully he'll not be too hard pressed to pick up the third down stuff as well."
On being asked about benching Eli Manning:
"He's the guy. We're going to win again with Eli."
On the Giants' missing pass rush, while admitting it is a "combination of things," Coughlin basically said it comes down to winning one-one-one battles:
"We've got to do a better job in these one-on-one situations ... it basically comes down to, I've got to beat this guy, or I have to beat this guy and a half. When you bring five, you do have a chance to get singled up and we have to win when that takes place."
On when David Wilson might return:
"We just have to allow the time that's necessary for the complete and total medical analysis and evaluation. I don't know when that would be. There's been no magic number told to me. They're going to look at it continuously."
More from Big Blue View:
- Giants' Injury Update: Andre Brown, Markus Kuhn return to practice
- Eli Manning 'not into the evaluating business'
- Explaining 0-6: Let's break down the Giants' roster
- Bench Eli Manning? That's not on Tom Coughlin's radar
- NFL Picks Week 7: Game-by-game predictions against the spread
- New York Giants' news, 10/17: Josh Freeman, and more trade talk
- POLL: How many games will the Giants win this season?
- Fantasy Football : New York Giants Start/Sit Week 7
- Peyton Hillis 'at peace' as he joins Giants
- Peyton Hillis Signing: Running back joins Giants