The 2013 Big Blue View Community Mock Draft is rolling merrily along. We have now reached the 24th overall pick, which belongs to the Indianapolis Colts. That means 'AussieGiant' is up, performing the role of Colts' GM. The selection for the Colts is ...
Margus Hunt, DE, SMU
Throughout the draft I had been set on finding Andrew Luck a shiny new Wide Receiver toy to play with. But after watching my favorite wide receiver prospect in Cordarrelle Patterson get snatched before my very eyes to JINTSGM and his Bengals, a reality began to set in. There was no way Tavon Austin was going to get past BOTH the Rams and the Vikings. It was looking like Luck, wasn’t going to get his shiny toy (at least not in the first round). But then came a beacon of hope. Under Raptor the Rams nobly selected Jonathan Cyprien at 22, leaving many fans in a state of perplexed confusion.
As the fan discussion began to pile up after this controversial pick, I could hardly contain my excitement – could the Vikings also turn a blind eye on Austin? Could Luck still get a shiny new toy? However as quick as the excitement came, was it gone. Austin was off the board at 23, just as predicted, a solid, safe pick. I was left with little choice; I had to nab Bjoern Werner out of Florida State.
But then a little voice echoed in the back of my head… It was Raptor22’s, and he just kept repeating ‘make it fun’ over and over again. I stared down at Werner’s profile. It’s true, the kid was not only undeniable value at this pick, but also filled a desperate need for the Colts, but I found myself constantly asking- was it a fun pick? The answer was pretty clear.
The Colts are in desperate need for a pass rusher, particularly since the departure of Dwight Freeney. While Margus Hunt is raw, he is the type of explosive pass rusher that we at BBV have come to appreciate. His measurables are off the charts. For a man who stands at 6-foot-8, 277 pounds, hunt is a mountain, but unlike any other mountain, Hunt can move. Hunts 40 time at the combine was blazing - clocking a 4.53 40-yard dash, the third-fastest of any DE in this year's draft class. With his tremendous upside and after watching some tape on the Kid, Hunt impressed me enough to take his talents to South B … I mean Indianapolis.
Valentine's View: This pick has to be considered a reach, especially with Werner still available in our mock. Rob Rang of CBS ranks Hunt 44th among prospects, with Werner 11th. Mocking The Draft ranks Hunts 53rd, while also ranking Werner No. 11. A fun pick? Sure? One that will stir up a little discussion? Sure. The right pick? No, not in my opinion.
BBV Mock Draft, Round 1
- Kansas City Chiefs -- Luke Joeckel, OT, Texas A&M [Explanation]
- Jacksonville Jaguars -- Geno Smith, QB, West Virginia [Explanation]
- Oakland Raiders -- Star Lotulelei, DT, Utah [Explanation]
- Philadelphia Eagles -- Dion Jordan, DE, Oregon [Explanation]
- Detroit Lions -- Eric Fisher, OT, Central Michigan [Explanation]
- Cleveland Browns -- Chance Warmack, G, Alabama [Explanation]
- Arizona Cardinals -- Barkevious Mingo, OLB, LSU [Explanation]
- Buffalo Bills -- Ziggy Ansah, DE, BYU [Explanation]
- New York Jets -- Dee Milliner, CB, Alabama [Explanation]
- Tennessee Titans -- Sharrif Floyd, DT, Florida [Explanation]
- San Diego Chargers -- Lane Johnson, OT, Oklahoma [Explanation]
- Miami Dolphins -- Tank Carradine, DE, Florida State [Explanation]
- Tampa Bay Buccaneers -- Alex Okafor, DE, Texas [Explanation]
- Carolina Panthers -- Sheldon Richardson, DT, Missouri [Explanation]
- New Orleans Saints -- Jarvis Jones, OLB, Georgia [Explanation]
- St. Louis Rams -- Alec Ogletree, LB, Georgia [Explanation]
- Pittsburgh Steelers -- Damontre Moore, DE, Texas A&M [Explanation]
- Dallas Cowboys -- Kenny Vaccaro, S, Texas [Explanation]
- New York Giants -- Jonathan Cooper, OG, North Carolina [Explanation]
- Chicago Bears -- Arthur Brown, LB, Kansas State [Explanation]
- Cincinnati Bengals -- Cordarrelle Patterson, WR, Tennessee [Explanation]
- St. Louis Rams -- Jonathan Cyprien, S, Florida International [Explanation]
- Minnesota Vikings -- Tavon Austin, WR, West Virginia [Explanation]
- Indianapolis Colts, Margus Hunt, DE, SMU
[E-mail Ed at firstname.lastname@example.org | Follow Big Blue View on Twitter | 'Like' Big Blue View on Facebook.]