As we move on from my selection of North Carolina guard Jonathan Cooper for the New York Giants with the 19th pick in the 2013 Big Blue View Community Mock Draft, we turn to the 20th overall selection. That belongs to the Chicago Bears, and we have 'RevengeOfTheBlackshirts' in the role of Bears' general manager.
The choice for the Bears? 'Revenge' selects ...
Arthur Brown, LB, Kansas State
I could have gone several with a lot of positions here, especially with all of the talent left on the board. The offensive line definitely needs help, no better way to put it, and the Giants just stole Cooper. I strongly considered DJ Fluker, Bama, here. TE was addressed when they signed Martellus "TBU" Bennett, so I was not going to spend the first round on a TE here. Plus, all of the other players I considered here rate a lot higher than the best TE. I am sure the Bears would love a weapon for Cutler and to take pressure off Marshall and Jeffrey, so I spent a lot of time considering the WRs: Austin from WVU, Hopkins from Clemson, and Patterson from Tennessee. Adding a stud CB is always a good thing in the first two rounds and my favorite, Rhodes, FSU, is still on the board.
I chose Arthur Brown for a couple of reasons. First, the departure of Urlacher leaves a big hole in the LB group. Brown, in my opinion, is a Bears type LB: athletic, instinctive, and tenacious. The Bears recently signed linebackers DJ Williams and James Anderson, which were decent pick-ups, but more of a stopgap and depth signings. I think the Bears would want to get younger at linebacker. Brown will be the future of the Bears defense and someone that can have an impact this year. Down the road, even if he does not make it in the middle, he has the athleticism to start on the outside and should thrive there. Finally, I have Brown has the 14th best player on my big board, no one above him is left, so this is a BPA + Need pick.
Valentine's View: Best part of this pick? When he sent it to me, 'Revenge' said I "stole Cooper' from him. I have to be honest that I'm sort of happy about that.
Is this a good pick for the Bears? Probably, as they move on from the Brian Urlacher era. I'm still not completely sold that Brown should come off the board this early, but he seems to have a higher ceiling than Manti Te'o of Notre Dame or Kevin Minter of LSU. If you are convinced you need a linebacker here, Brown is probably the right guy. Dan Kadar of SB Nation NFL Draft would tell you Brown is definitely the right guy. My guess is Dan is still bumming because he couldn't talk me into Brown for the Giants.
Matthew Fairburn of SBN calls Brown an "instant impact player. Jesse Bartolis of Big Blue View says "Brown is a guy who plays better than his size."
BBV Mock Draft, Round 1
- Kansas City Chiefs -- Luke Joeckel, OT, Texas A&M [Explanation]
- Jacksonville Jaguars -- Geno Smith, QB, West Virginia [Explanation]
- Oakland Raiders -- Star Lotulelei, DT, Utah [Explanation]
- Philadelphia Eagles -- Dion Jordan, DE, Oregon [Explanation]
- Detroit Lions -- Eric Fisher, OT, Central Michigan [Explanation]
- Cleveland Browns -- Chance Warmack, G, Alabama [Explanation]
- Arizona Cardinals -- Barkevious Mingo, OLB, LSU [Explanation]
- Buffalo Bills -- Ziggy Ansah, DE, BYU [Explanation]
- New York Jets -- Dee Milliner, CB, Alabama [Explanation]
- Tennessee Titans -- Sharrif Floyd, DT, Florida [Explanation]
- San Diego Chargers -- Lane Johnson, OT, Oklahoma [Explanation]
- Miami Dolphins -- Tank Carradine, DE, Florida State [Explanation]
- Tampa Bay Buccaneers -- Alex Okafor, DE, Texas [Explanation]
- Carolina Panthers -- Sheldon Richardson, DT, Missouri [Explanation]
- New Orleans Saints -- Jarvis Jones, OLB, Georgia [Explanation]
- St. Louis Rams -- Alec Ogletree, LB, Georgia [Explanation]
- Pittsburgh Steelers -- Damontre Moore, DE, Texas A&M [Explanation]
- Dallas Cowboys -- Kenny Vaccaro, S, Texas [Explanation]
- New York Giants -- Jonathan Cooper, OG, North Carolina [Explanation]
- Chicago Bears -- Arthur Brown, LB, Kansas State