The drama continues in the 2013 Big Blue View Community Mock Draft as we have reached the 18th overall selection, one before the New York Giants will be on the clock. That means the Dallas Cowboys are up, with 'ineverthink' playing the role of the villianous Jerry Jones.
With the 18th pick, the Cowboys select ...
Kenny Vaccaro, S, Texas
I was really twisting between Vaccaro and Jonathan Cooper here. I know how poorly the Cowboys o-line played last year. Maybe secretly I wanted their line to still stink so Romo could be lit up Boley Style.
Yes there is a lack of pure talent when it comes to the Boys' o-line outside of Tyron Smith. Free was a huge letdown after signing his huge contract back in 2011. But a rash of injuries before last season even started forced the Cowboys to make adjustments on the line which hurt them most of the season but seemed to even out towards the end. The lack of continuity really hurt them and I think this year they have the chance to be good enough if they pick up some help in the draft which is deep with O-line talent.
Safety, however, is a spot where there are no warm , fuzzy feelings. Barry Church is coming off an Achilles injury and they just let go of Gerald Sensabaugh so they are in dire need of a starting safety. Vaccaro at 6-foot-1, 215 pounds, offers good size at the position but his athleticism and ability to cover space is what makes him a perfect fit here. With Dallas transitioning to a Tampa 2 next year, Vaccaro's an excellent fit to play zone while also being able to track down the deep ball. His fluid hips will help with change of direction and his solid frame give him some thump when stepping up to stop the run. This pick will set up the Cowboys secondary for years to come with a compliment to their solid cornerback team of Carr and Clairborne.
Valentine's View: Undeniably, Vaccaro would have been in play for the Giants at No. 19 if he had not gone off the board right here. Interestingly, Mocking The Draft compares Vaccaro's skill set to that of former Giant Kenny Phillips. In his profile of Vaccaro, BBV's Jesse Bartolis compares Vaccaro to current Giants' safety Antrel Rolle. Vaccaro in this spot is a good pick for the Cowboys, who improved their corners a season ago.
So, let the guessing begin as to what I will do with the 19th pick for the Giants. D.J. Fluker? Bjoern Werner? Jonathan Cooper? Arthur Brown? Xavier Rhodes? Tyler Eifert? Datone Jones? Sylvester Williams? A mystery man who isn't named here? Soooo many choices. What to do? Oh, what to do?
BBV Mock Draft, Round 1
- Kansas City Chiefs -- Luke Joeckel, OT, Texas A&M [Explanation]
- Jacksonville Jaguars -- Geno Smith, QB, West Virginia [Explanation]
- Oakland Raiders -- Star Lotulelei, DT, Utah [Explanation]
- Philadelphia Eagles -- Dion Jordan, DE, Oregon [Explanation]
- Detroit Lions -- Eric Fisher, OT, Central Michigan [Explanation]
- Cleveland Browns -- Chance Warmack, G, Alabama [Explanation]
- Arizona Cardinals -- Barkevious Mingo, OLB, LSU [Explanation]
- Buffalo Bills -- Ziggy Ansah, DE, BYU [Explanation]
- New York Jets -- Dee Milliner, CB, Alabama [Explanation]
- Tennessee Titans -- Sharrif Floyd, DT, Florida [Explanation]
- San Diego Chargers -- Lane Johnson, OT, Oklahoma [Explanation]
- Miami Dolphins -- Tank Carradine, DE, Florida State [Explanation]
- Tampa Bay Buccaneers -- Alex Okafor, DE, Texas [Explanation]
- Carolina Panthers -- Sheldon Richardson, DT, Missouri [Explanation]
- New Orleans Saints -- Jarvis Jones, OLB, Georgia [Explanation]
- St. Louis Rams -- Alec Ogletree, LB, Georgia [Explanation]
- Pittsburgh Steelers -- Damontre Moore, DE, Texas A&M [Explanation]
- Dallas Cowboys -- Kenny Vaccaro, S, Texas
[E-mail Ed at firstname.lastname@example.org | Follow Big Blue View on Twitter | 'Like' Big Blue View on Facebook]