Our 2013 Big Blue View Community Mock Draft is rolling along today and we have reached the 15th pick. That means the New Orleans Saints are up, with long-time community member 'Charles L' serving as Saints' general manager. The selection for the Saints is ...
Jarvis Jones, OLB, University of Georgia
'Charles L' explains:
In 2012, former Giants' defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo managed to lead his New Orleans Saints defense to the single worst performance in NFL history. To remedy this, the Saints have replaced "Spags" with overrated 3-4 defensive guru Rob Ryan.
Unfortunately, the Saints are missing experienced personnel along their defensive line, linebacking corps, and defensive backs. Therefore, they take the NCAA's best player at the most important position in a 3-4 base defense, OLB Jarvis Jones from the University of Georgia.
First, to address his shortcomings. Yes, he lacks ideal athleticism (his pro-day numbers are skewed by a minor hamstring injury). Yes, he's undersized (with 33" arms). Yes, there are rumors of a career-threatening medical condition (which have been dismissed by UG medical staff, orthopedist Dr. Craig Brigham, and Jarvis Jones himself).
It doesn't matter. In two years, in the vaunted SEC, he amassed 168 tackles (45.5 for loss), 28 sacks, 6 PDs, and 9 forced fumbles. Time after time he single-handedly impacted the momentum of a game, whether by blowing up the QB, chasing down a play in the backfield, or forcing a key fumble. Jarvis Jones is just a great football player who, as scouts love to say, "leaves everything on the field."
Valentine's View: Great selection here for the defensively-deficient Saints. Mocking The Draft ranks Jones ninth on its 2013 NFL Draft Big Board. Jones would be a difference-making outside linebacker for a team starving for talent on the defensive side of the ball.
BBV Mock Draft, Round 1
- Kansas City Chiefs -- , OT, Texas A&M [Explanation]
- Jacksonville Jaguars -- Geno Smith, QB, West Virginia [Explanation]
- Oakland Raiders -- Star Lotulelei, DT, Utah [Explanation]
- Philadelphia Eagles -- Dion Jordan, DE, Oregon [Explanation]
- Detroit Lions -- Eric Fisher, OT, Central Michigan [Explanation]
- Cleveland Browns -- Chance Warmack, G, Alabama [Explanation]
- Arizona Cardinals -- Barkevious Mingo, OLB, LSU [Explanation]
- Buffalo Bills -- Ziggy Ansah, DE, BYU [Explanation]
- New York Jets -- Dee Milliner, CB, Alabama [Explanation]
- Tennessee Titans -- Sharrif Floyd, DT, Florida [Explanation]
- San Diego Chargers -- Lane Johnson, OT, Oklahoma [Explanation]
- Miami Dolphins -- Tank Carradine, DE, Florida State [Explanation]
- Tampa Bay Buccaneers -- Alex Okafor, DE, Texas [Explanation]
- Carolina Panthers -- Sheldon Richardson, DT, Missouri [Explanation]
- New Orleans Saints -- Jarvis Jones, OLB, Georgia