We have reached the 12th overall selection in our 2013 Big Blue View Community Mock Draft. The Miami Dolphins have been one of the most active teams in the free-agent market, and now it is their turn to select a player in our mock draft. Playing the role of Dolphins GM is 'ct17.' His choice for the Dolphins is ...
Tank Carradine, DE, Florida State
In my opinion he was the No. 2 pass rusher in college last year behind Jadeveon Clowney. Carradine has excellent size and athleticism. He physically beats and embarrasses the tackles that try to block him. He put up great numbers despite the fact that he was racing Bjorn Werner to the QB from the other side, so there were few coverage sacks for him. He can play run defense. The ACL tear is a concern. But the reports are that he is healing well and planning to work out before the draft. The young heal well, and he plays at a position where ACL tears are rare. Miami will not be in a rush to play him right away, with Cameron Wake on one side and Jared Odrick taking run down snaps on the other. I know the Dolphins like the potential of Olivier Vernon at DE and Derrick Shelby is an interesting prospect, but they are not worth passing up a first round DE with as much talent as Carradine. Instead they may be developed as a cheaper option to Wake in a few years given his age and salary and Miami’s recent big spending in free agency.
Valentine's View: Our friends at SB Nation's Mocking The Draft would likely approve of this pick, even if it does seem early for a player who missed most of last season and has not yet been able to work out for scouts. After all, MTD analysts have consistently mocked Carradine to the Giants in recent weeks. MTD has Carradine ranked 23rd on its latest Big Board.
Maybe 'ct17' has done me a favor here, taking Carradine out of play for the Giants. Thus, I don't have to deal with the backlash if I were to select him for the Giants at 19.
In his prospect profile of Carradine, Jesse Bartolis wrote that he is "every bit as talented a player as any other pass rusher in this class."
The only real question is how quickly Carradine will be able to contribute. For Miami, this is the equivalent of swinging for a home run. It definitely is not the safest pick here, but I can't criticize it. If you are the Dolphins and you are in a division with the New England Patriots you might as well swing for the fences.
BBV Mock Draft, Round 1
- Kansas City Chiefs -- , OT, Texas A&M [Explanation]
- Jacksonville Jaguars -- Geno Smith, QB, West Virginia [Explanation]
- Oakland Raiders -- Star Lotulelei, DT, Utah [Explanation]
- Philadelphia Eagles -- Dion Jordan, DE, Oregon [Explanation]
- Detroit Lions -- Eric Fisher, OT, Central Michigan [Explanation]
- Cleveland Browns -- Chance Warmack, G, Alabama [Explanation]
- Arizona Cardinals -- Barkevious Mingo, OLB, LSU [Explanation]
- Buffalo Bills -- Ziggy Ansah, DE, BYU [Explanation]
- New York Jets -- Dee Milliner, CB, Alabama [Explanation]
- Tennessee Titans -- Sharrif Floyd, DT, Florida [Explanation]
- San Diego Chargers -- Lane Johnson, OT, Oklahoma [Explanation]
- Miami Dolphins -- Tank Carradine, DE, Florida State
[E-mail Ed at firstname.lastname@example.org]