You know, I'm sure that the New York Giants face the New York Jets Saturday at 7 p.m. ET at MetLife Stadium in the second preseason game for both teams. The preseason game is now dubbed the 'MetLife Bowl.'
Here are my thoughts on things to watch Saturday evening. I will stay off the Mark Sanchez-Tim Tebow stuff, because it's pretty obvious everyone will be paying at least some attention to that.
Snoopy says these are the things to watch Saturday night.
- First and foremost, if you are watching the game in the New York area you will be watching the Jets broadcast. The game is on WCBS 2 in New York with the Jets announcing team.
- Punt and kickoff return: The Giants added rookie Laron Scott to a mix that includes Jerrel Jernigan, Jayron Hosley, David Wilson (kickoffs only) and Reuben Randle (punts only). It will be interesting how this all shakes out. In the end it is going to come down to ball security. Whoever shows they can catch the ball and keep it wins the job.
- Defensive tackles: The Giants added Marcus Thomas, Carlton Powell and Oren Wilson due to injuries this week. I doubt any of those guys will play much Saturday, and it really wouldn't be fair to judge any of them since barely have had time to introduce themselves to their teammates.
- Left tackle: It seems like Will beatty's back issues are not going to go away. Can veteran Sean Locklear handle the job if Beatty can't go? If not Locklear, can second-year man James Brewer earn the trust of Eli Manning and the coaching staff? If those guys can't handle the job does David Diehl cross back to that side eventually?
- The young guns in the secondary: Prince Amukamara, Will Hill and Hosley all seem to have earned critical roles in the secondary. Can they continue to develop?
- Chase Blackburn vs. Mark Herzlich: How much longer can Blackburn hold off Herzlich for the starting middle linebacker job? Another good week from Herzlich might answer that question.
- Beyond Hakeem Nicks and Victor Cruz, you can make strong cases for why Domenik Hixon, Reuben Randle, Jerrel Jernigan and Ramses Barden should be in line for playing time. You can make cases for Isaiah Stanback, David Douglas and Brandon Collins in fights for roster spots. Stanback made his bid in the first preseason game. Who will emerge this week?
- Running game: Can the Giants continue to improve running the ball? Can they stop the run at all? Both of these areas are works in progress.