There are just 10 days remaining until the New York Giants report for 2012 training camp at UAlbany, as Mike pointed out earlier on Monday. So, appropriately I think, here are 10 questions to ponder about the defending Super Bowl champions as football season approaches again.
1. Will Hakeem Nicks Be Healthy When The Season Opens? Victor Cruz swears Nicks will be ready, and Nicks has also been adamant his broken foot will heal in time. But, Ahmad Bradshaw and Prince Amukamara serve as examples that foot injuries are tricky. So, we shall see.
2. Can Cruz Do It Again? After salsa-dancing his way into the hearts of Giants fans, and catching and running his way into the team's record books, what kind of follow-up season will Cruz have? The wide receiver spent the offseason making what seemed like a gazillion appearances and writing a book. Can he focus completely on playing football once camp starts?
3. What Can Marvin Austin Do? The Giants drafted the big, talented defensive tackle from North Carolina in the second round a season ago. But, after spending last season in injured reserver with a torn pectoral muscle Austin has not played in two years.
4. Who Will Be The Middle Linebacker? Chase Blackburn will be listed as No. 1 when camp starts, but Mark Herzlich and Keith Rivers will be banging on the door trying to take some -- or all -- of the playing time at that spot.
5. Will Will Beatty Be Healthy? Beatty's eye is fine after he suffered a detached retina. Beatty, though, did not practice during OTAs or mini-camp due to a back injury suffered while working out. Offensive coordinator Kevin Gilbride has expressed concern about his starting left tackle, so Beatty's health will be a major focus in Albany.
6. Who Will Be The Third Wide Receiver? We have talked about this at great length. Your candidates are Ramses Barden, Reuben Randle, Jerrel Jernigan and Domenik Hixon.
7. Which Undrafted Free Agents Will Make The Team? There are plenty of candidates here. Safety Will Hill, safety/cornerback Janzen Jackson, wide receiver Brandon Collins, running back Joe Martinek and middle linebacker Jake Muasau are the most likely possibilities.
8. Can The Giants Run The Ball Better? They have first-round draft choice David Wilson, and they have made some changes to the offensive line after their league-worst rushing effort a season ago. Will it help?
9. Which Running Backs Make The Team? Behind Ahmad Bradshaw and Wilson, that is anybody's guess. Martinek, D.J. Ware, Da'Rel Scott and Andre Brown are likely in a dogfight for two spots. Your guess is as good as mine when it comes to who will end up on the 53-man roster from that group.
10. What Will Martellus Bennett Do? The Giants signed Bennett in hopes that he would fill their tight end void this season. There are plenty of doubters, so watching how Bennett progresses will be interesting.