Here is your update from Saturday morning's practice during New York Giants Training Camp at the University at Albany.
Let's start with some injury news.
Steve Smith did not practice, but it appears he will be OK. Mike Garafolo tweeted this a little while ago.
Practice over. Steve Smith walking by. Asked him how he made out w the MRI. "Just a minor strain. I'll be all right."
- No word yet on Rich Seubert. That will likely come later today.
- Here is today's example of why the NFL is a hard place. Backup offensive lineman Reuben Riley injured a knee Friday night. This morning he got cut. Offensive lineman Cliff Louis, who was with the Giants during training camp in 2009, was signed to replace him.
- Shaun O'Hara was going some individual drills. He is expected to return to practice Monday.
- Guy Whimper worked with the first unit at left guard again today. I didn't see Will Beatty take any first-team reps. Whimper, of course, came up lame with what looked like a left ankle injury and had to take himself out during an 11-on-11 red zone drill. No word on him right now. He was replaced by fifth-round draft choice Mitch Petrus.
Here are some on-the-field notes.
- Let's start with one that I actually missed, but that I know you will find interesting. I do. Mathias Kiwanuka took some snaps at linebacker today. Don't know what that might mean, but it's something to keep an eye on as camp progresses.
- I don't know how he makes this team, but Tim Brown just keeps on impressing. The 5-foot-7, 165-pound undrafted free agent from Rutgers made a beautiful sideline catch on an out from Eli Manning, stretching to pull the ball in and keeping his feet in bounds with Courtney Brown defending. Later, Tiny Tim (I couldn't resist) got his first chance to return punts. He burst untouched through the middle with three or four great cuts, flashing elusiveness and the speed that got him invited to camp in the first place.
- Terrell Thomas was beaten deep by Mario Manningham and tweeted that he was not happy with his practice.
- Rhett Bomar threw a horrible ball into triple coverage trying to hit Bear Pascoe. Sha'reef Rashad came up with the interception. Jim Sorgi threw a beautiful long ball down the right sideline to Victor Cruz.
- Here's big news. Rocky Bernard actually made a play today, batting down a Sorgi pass during a red zone drill.
- Giants scored a few touchdowns during that red zone drill today, which actually had the ball placed at about the 10-yard line. Manning hit Mario Manningham for a score on a slant in front of Corey Webster, Sorgi hit Scott Chandler over the middle and Andre Brown sliced through the defense for a score following a nice lead block from a pulling Petrus.