Charles Brown, OT, USC.
Playing the role of Indianapolis GM is 'Charles L.' He writes:
- Plays the 2nd most valuable position in football
- Has rare technique and footwork for a college player
- Is an elite pass blocker
- Has the athleticism to pull out, hunt down, and obliterate the 2nd level on outside runs
- Still has very good upside as he continues to grow into his position, both physically and technically
- Though Manning almost never gets sacked, this is a result of his own ability, not that of his line. His backup, Curtis Painter, was obliterated, getting sacked 3 times in ~30 dropbacks.
- The Colts are famous for a mediocre run game. According to FBO though, the line was very good to mediocre everywhere but off the left end, where they were the 2nd worst team in the NFL in Adjusted Line Yards. Guess who specializes in outside runs to the left?
A victim of their own success, the Colts have not had, and will probably never again get, a chance to draft a top-tier left tackle in the Peyton Manning Era. If Charles Brown falls to them, this is a no-brainer.
My take: This is a bit of a reach, I think. Brown is the best offensive tackle left on the board. But, is he really a first-rounder? There is a big difference of opinion on that. I'm thinking maybe the Colts would be better served by grabbing a defensive player here. Brian Price, maybe? Or even Maurkice Pouncey, the top center in the draft. Somehow, that seems better than using your first pick on the sixth-best offensive tackle in the draft. It's the William Joseph theory -- don't grab a player at a position simply because everyone else is doing it. That's how you get burned. To me, taking the best player in the draft at one position is better than the sixth at another.
|1||St. Louis||Sam Bradford||QB||Oklahoma||Soldier_
|3||Tampa Bay||Gerald McCoy||DT||Oklahoma||i_formation27|
|4||Washington||Russell Okung||OT||Oklahoma State||G Fan in England
|5||Kansas City||Eric Berry||S||Tennessee||ronjohnson|
|6||Seattle||Jimmy Clausen||QB||Notre Dame||CCE718|
|7||Cleveland||Dez Bryant||WR||Oklahoma State||GreatGatsby|
|9||Buffalo||Dan Williams||DT||Tennessee||The Greek|
|12||Miami||Jerry Hughes||DE/OLB||Texas Christian||sunlion333|
|13||San Francisco||Bryan Bulaga||OT||Iowa||RIPShea|
|14||Seattle||Trent Williams||OT||Oklahoma||Ed V.|
|15||N.Y. Giants||Derrick Morgan||DE||Georgia||Ed Valentine|
|17||San Francisco||Sean Weatherspoon||B||Missouri||RIPShea|
|20||Houston||Jason Pierre-Paul||DE||South Florida||BitterEli|
|22||New England||Jermaine Gresham||TE||Oklahoma||Ryan Valentine|
|23||Green Bay||C.J. Spiller||RB||Clemson||Dan Luibil|
|24||Philadelphia||Anthony Davis||OT||Rutgers||Bye Dawk|
|25||Baltimore||Kyle Wilson||CB||Boise State||Larry Soprano|
|28||San Diego||Ryan Mathews||RB||Fresno State||hakeemthedream|
|29||N.Y. Jets||Golden Tate||WR||Notre Dame||Brooklyn58|
|31||Indianapolis||Charles Brown||OT||USC||Charles L.|