No practice today for the New York Giants. So, I can finally catch up on some of the stuff others are writing about the team.
I poked some fun at SI.com's Peter King in this morning's blogger journal. I'm not taking any of that back, but I do have to give King some props today as well.
In case you haven't read it already, King's Tuesday column includes an absolutely awesome section on David Tyree and his struggle to stay with the Giants.
Here is some of it.
David Tyree makes it clear he does not want sentimentality to play one iota of a part in his fate with the New York Giants this summer.
"It shouldn't be a factor,'' he told me at noon today. "It shouldn't. Not at all. This camp is not about the Super Bowl won a couple of years ago. It should be all about the one we want to win now.'' ...
"I compete as a receiver,'' Tyree said, "but I do bring something different to the table that the other wideouts don't. It's not like I'm going to be the one, two or three anyway [first, second or third receiver]. I never have been. But the Giants have always been fair to me. I trust them to make the right decision for the franchise. The only way I look at it is, I have to go out there and make every play count. Every route counts.'' ...
He said he has no desire to play anywhere else, "but I've got two or three years of really good football left in me. If it can't be here, and the Giants have one of the deepest rosters in football, not every other team is so deep. I know there's a place for me somewhere. I really, really hope it's here.''
By the way, I have to learn to use this Twitter thing better. I did not know about the 'Tweetup' King referenced in his column, and I'm bummed. The Tri-City Valleycats home stadium, where the event was held, is 2 miles from my house.
- Great piece from 'Dawg Sports,' SBN's Georgia Bulldogs blog, comparing the Manning family to the Corleone's. Of course, casting Eli as 'Fredo' won't make Giants' fans happy. Still, though, a fun read.
- I am not the only SBN blogger covering a team's training camp this August. Here is a quick rundown of SBN blogs at training camp.
- I told you the other day Osi Umenyiora looks like he is running well, and he looks happy these days. Here's a quote from Osi on how he is feeling.
"I’m just going to try my best to do what I can do," said Umenyiora, earlier this week. "Any time I’m on the football field I can help this team win. I love these guys, I love being around them. I love being out there, so I’m just going to go out there and do everything I can to help this team win."
- Remember all that talk off-season talk about acquiring Braylon Edwards? Well, seems maybe we are lucky the Giants passed on that move. Seems Edwards has not practiced yet with the Cleveland Browns.
- Joe LaPointe of the New York Times talks about -- what else? -- the Giants' wide receiver situation.