I am back attraining camp, and here is your Monday morning practice report.
Coach Tom Coughlin was asked about the state of the Giants as the second week of camp cranks up.
"We're a long way from where we need to be, but there is a process here," he said. "We're throwing so much at 'em that everything is new almost every day. We're a week into it and we're not getting the execution that we're looking for, particularly on the offensive side of the ball.
Overall the defense has played pretty well ... caused the offense a lot of problems."
The secondary was particularly impressive, despite players being flagged on a couple of occasions for pass interference penalties (NFL officials are in camp).
"They're playing well and they'll get even better in the days to come," Coughlin said. "We've had a few of the deep balls, which is not what you're looking for. Hopefully, that'll come around as well."
- Rough go this morning for David Tyree. A pair of drops, one on a sideline route the other on a go route when his defender had slipped and he was all alone. He bobbled, but hung on to a third ball. You have to root for Tyree, but he can't afford a lot of days like that.
- Defensive tackle Fred Robbins took snaps with the first defensive unit during 11-on-11 drills, the first time he has done so since returning from microfracture surgery. Robbins even stayed in despite a light rainfall that made the field a bit slippery.
- Among the players who did not work this morning were Corey Webster, Hakeem Nicks, Aaron Ross, Osi Umenyiora, Cliff Louis, Barry Cofield, Maurice Evans and Guy Whimper. No serious injuries in that group.
- It's pretty obvious that Rhett Bomar is right now No. 4 on the Giants quarterback depth chart. Twice during practice, once in 7-on-7 drills and once in 11-on-11, Bomar got exactly one play. In 11-on-11, he took advantage of his only snap with a beautiful seam route to Mario Manningham, who made an even better catch.
- Couple of other notes: Eli Manning completed a go route to Sinorice Moss this morning over Terrell Thomas. ... Defensive tackle Tommie Hill had a sack of David Carr. ... Chase Blackburn picked off an ill-advised pass by Carr. ... Kevin Dockery intercepted Andre Woodson when Derek Hagan fell down.
[NOTE: I won't be attending tonight's practice. Today is my wedding anniversary, and I haven't managed to stay married for 24 years by being stupid. So, I am taking my wife to dinner. By the way, check the 'Transcripts' page for a host of recent interviews.]