The NFL free agent signing period starts Friday. With that in mind, let's look at what our New York Giants have already done with their own free agents.
The following summary comes from Yahoo! Sports. My thoughts or additions are in italic.
Franchise Player: RB Brandon Jacobs: Tendered at $6.621M. Great move by the Giants here. Jacobs will get his long-term deal, and the Giants keep the guy who sets the tone on offense.
UNRESTRICTED FREE AGENTS
• SS James Butler was a first-time starter last season and played well, but his place will be taken by last year’s No. 1 draft pick Kenny Phillips. Butler will be missed more than many Giants fans want to believe.
• K John Carney did well for the Giants on an interim basis but will not be offered a new contract at the age of 44. Hello again, Lawrence Tynes.
• DE Jerome McDougle is unlikely to return. And we care why?
• CB/KR R.W. McQuarters is on the bubble and if he’ll take a reduced salary he might be re-signed. Somehow, McQuarters always manages to stick around. He probably will again.
• G/C Grey Ruegamer is a 10-year veteran and is useful; he is also not overly expensive. He is a quality backup center, and the Giants should keep him.
• LB Rich Scanlon probably won’t be back. Rich, we hardly knew ye.
• WR Amani Toomer, the Giants’ all-time leading receiver, will probably not be offered a new contract after 12 years with the team. Probably? How about no chance?
• RB Derrick Ward gained 1,025 yards and is the perfect backup for Brandon Jacobs but it is unlikely that the team can keep two such highly-paid running backs. Somebody will pay him to be a No. 1 back, and they might be disappointed.
• QB Anthony Wright spent the year on injured reserve and probably won’t get even that chance again. He's still around?
• DE Renaldo Wynn was a stop-gap signee and should be dispatched. Thanks, Renaldo. Now, don't let the door hit you on the way out.
RESTRICTED FREE AGENTS
• CB Kevin Dockery will be tendered. That has already been done, and it's a good move.
• QB David Carr: Potential UFA; $2.1M/1 yr, $1M SB. I hope the Giants never need the guy, but keeping him around was an excellent signing.
RB Reuben Droughns, SS Sammy Knight (released), CB Sam Madison. All classy veterans, but none with much left to offer on the field.
-- Tomorrow we will look at some potential free-agent targets for the Giants.