A crazy 30-3 start. A pretty lethargic second half. Great nights for Domenic Hixon and Danny Ware. It all added up to a 37-34 victory for the Giants in last night's second exhibition game.
Let's review, as we always do, 'Kudos & Wet Willies' style.
Kudos to ...
- Domenic Hixon, Domenic Hixon, Domenic Hixon: Two touchdown catches on passes from Eli Manning, and an 82-yard kick return for a score. This guy is a big-time playmaker. Tell me again why the Broncos cut him?
- Eli Manning: Two nice touchdoown throws to Hixon, a heads-up scramble for a first down AND HE DIDN'T GET HURT. I'm not so sure about the scruffy excuse for a beard, though. Maybe THAT gets a 'Wet Willie.'
- The Starting Defense: They weren't in the game long, but they were flying to the ball. Justin Tuck, Osi Umenyiora and Danny Clark in particular.
- Danny Ware: Hopefully, Reuben Droughns has a plan for what to do when his football career is over. The way Ware is playing, that end is coming soon. A 59-yard kickoff return, and 10 carries for a team-leading 97 yards put Ware in serious contention for a roster spot.
Wet Willies to ...
Kickoff Return Coverage Unit: Umm, guys the idea is to tackle the runner as soon as possible.
- Terrell Thomas: I counted at least three one-on-one tackles the Giants' second-round draft choice missed last night. Gotta tackle if you want to play, son.
- Kevin Dockery: Well, dropping an easy interception and basically handing it to a wide receiver for a touchdown will get you a 'Wet Willie' every time.
- Michael Jennings: There is a ton of competition for roster spots at wide receiver, and two drops won't help Jennings' case.
- Brandon Jacobs: Two fumbles, albeit one on an ill-advised attempt at an end around. The big fella needs to do a better job protecting the football.