Today we take a look at the Cleveland Browns, who will take on the Giants Monday night at Giants Stadium.
2007 Record: 10-6
Head Coach: Romeo Crennel
- Defensive Coordinator Todd Grantham was let go, and Secondary Coach Mel Tucker was promoted to take his place. The Browns then bulked up their defense in the off-season by adding Corey Williams and Shaun Rogers, but those players need to prove they can play in the 3-4 defense the Browns use.
- On offense they added Dante Stallworth to be the Number 2 Wide Receiver next to Pro Bowler Braylon Edwards. Former Giant Joe Jurevicius has asked the team to downgrade him to the Number 3 WR, because his body can no longer take the pounding.
Browns Notes, Quotes
• It is becoming clear Brady Quinn is not totally in step with being the backup to Derek Anderson without having a chance to compete for the job. Asked before the preseason opener whether he could envision being in the same situation next year, Quinn responded:
“We have a big season coming up. I don’t know if you know that. I’m not trying to focus on anything outside our first preseason game.”
• It has been a tough road for safety Gary Baxter since tearing both patellar tendons playing against the Broncos on Oct. 22, 2006. He has not played in a game since. On July 27, he broke up a pass in practice. It was a big step for him, but it was the last time he practiced before undergoing arthroscopic knee surgery to remove damaged cartilage Aug. 5. Now his career is in jeopardy again; the Browns released Baxter Saturday because they did not want him taking up a spot on the 80-man roster while he recovers.
“Last year we were able to hold a roster spot open for
“We are releasing
• Since returning to the NFL in 1999, the Browns are 19-19 in preseason games. They are 50-94 in the regular season.