Today we take a look at the Washington Redskins as we finish up our NFC East Previews.
2007 record: 9-7 Lost to Seattle in the Wild Card Round
• DE Erasmus James (trade Vikings).
• S Stuart Schweigert: FA Raiders; terms unknown.
KEY PLAYERS RE-SIGNED
• LS Ethan Albright: Potential UFA; terms unknown.
• DT Ryan Boschetti: UFA; terms unknown.
• RB Nehemiah Broughton: Not tendered as ERFA; terms unknown.
• RB/KR Rock Cartwright: UFA; $3.55M/3 yrs, $300,000 SB/$300,000 RB; $200,000 RB ‘09; 2008 cap: $705,000.
• QB Todd Collins: UFA; $9M/3 yrs, $3M SB.
• OT Jason Fabini: UFA; $870,000/1 yr, $40,000 SB; 2008 cap: $485,000.
• P Derrick Frost: UFA; $805,000/1 yr, $200,000 SB.
• K Shaun Suisham: ERFA; terms unknown.
• QB Mark Brunell: UFA Saints; 2 yrs, $1M SB, other terms unknown.
• WR Reche Caldwell: UFA Rams; $645,000/1 yr, $40,000 SB.
• WR Brandon Lloyd (released; post-June 1 designation).
• CB David Macklin: UFA Rams; $770,000/1 yr, $40,000 SB.
• S Pierson Prioleau: UFA Jaguars; terms unknown.
• OT Kevin Sampson (released/failed physical).
• C Ross Tucker: UFA; retired.
Here are some of the questions the Redskins face going to camp in 2008:
- Is Jim Zorn ready to be a head coach in the NFL?
- How will Jason Campbell and the offense adapt to the new West Coast style Zorn has installed?
- Follow up to Number 2: will Campbell even be the starter, or will Todd Collins unseat him?
- Is Joe Jansen healthy after a debilitating injury in Week 1 of 2007?
The consensus seems to be that this is a down year for the Skins, and that Zorn is in over his head, but I'm going the other way. I have a feeling that Zorn is going to be a breath of fresh air for this team in the second Post-Gibbs Era. They have all 22 of their playoff starters returning, and that should help. Finishing third sounds about right for the 'Skins, but they are going to be a very tough out, especially the second half of the season.