As training camp approaches, BBV will preview the NFC East. Today we preview the Dallas Cowboys:
2007 Record: 13-3 Lost to New York Giants in Divisional Playoffs, 21-17
- CB Adam "Don't call me Pacman" Jones (trade. Titans).
- T/G Cory Lekkerkerker: Not tendered as ERFA by Dolphins; terms unknown.
- LB Zach Thomas: FA Dolphins; $19M/4 yrs, $1M SB; 2008 cap: $1.25M (deal can void after 2008 season).
- LB Akin Ayodele (traded ,Dolphins).
- S Keith Davis: UFA Dolphins; 2 yrs, terms unknown.
- TE Anthony Fasano (traded, Dolphins).
- NT Jason Ferguson (traded, Dolphins).
- FB Oliver Hoyte (released).
- RB Julius Jones: UFA, Seahawks; $12M/4 yrs, SB unknown.
- CB Nate Jones: UFA, Dolphins; 2 yrs, terms unknown.
- CB Jacques Reeves: UFA, Texans; $20M/6 yrs, $4M SB.
On paper, there is no doubt this team is among the best in the league. But as the Giants proved in January, a little "wite-out" can triumph over a paper champion. While solid in talent, this team has many questions to answer in 2008:
1. Can they rebound from 2007 after watching the Giants win a Super Bowl they believed was theirs for the taking?
2. Can Wade Phillips handle all the egos in the locker room?
3. Can Phillips successfully coach this team knowing Jason Garrett is looking over his shoulder?
4. Can Wade and Tony Romo find success in the playoffs?
5. Can Marion Barber handle the load at running back now that Julius Jones is gone?
6. Can Pacman stay out of jail?
7. What will TO's "controversy du jour" be?
With all the talent in the locker room, Dallas should contend for the division title and home field all year long; but I get the feeling this team is two bad losses from anarchy.