Can the giants pick themselves up Sunday and get a win? - Patrick Smith
Everything you need to know about today's Week 17 NFL game between the New York Giants and Philadelphia Eagles.
The New York Giants enter their regular-season finale today in a desperate situation. They have to beat the Philadelphia Eagles and hope a bunch of other dominoes fall their way in order to reach the playoffs. If things don't fall exactly right the Giants will miss the playoffs a season after winning the Super Bowl.
There is plenty of time -- perhaps too much time -- to discuss all of the things that have gone wrong. For now, let's focus on the Eagles. Here is a breakdown of today's 1 p.m. ET game, which will be televised on FOX.
For the Giants, it's simply whether or not they make the playoffs. They need to win, then hope the Dallas Cowboys lose or ite, and the Minnesota Vikings and Chicago Bears both lose. Playoffs or not, can they at least play a good football game after being embarrassed 67-14 over the past two weeks.
For the Eagles, is this the swan song for quarterback Michael Vick and head coach Andy Reid?
1. Eli Manning -- Which Eli will show up? That is a question we have had to ask too often this season.
2. Corey Webster -- The Baltimore Ravens targeted Webster 14 times last week and he was helpless. The Giants could be without Prince Amukamara and Jayron Hosley Sunday, which actually might be good news for Webster since the Eagles will have Justin Tryon to pick on.
3. The entire defense -- This is cheating, I know, but after surrendering 67 points the last two weeks and looking atrocious it would be nice of the group actually showed up today.
1. Michael Vick -- Really, Vick is the player who will be story of this game for Philadelphia. This will be his last game with the Eagles. Does he make it memorable for Eagles' fans with a signature performance that might make him some money next season? Does he implode and remind everyone why he got benched in the first place?
2. Andy Reid -- I know, he is the coach and not a player. My guess, though, is there will be a gazillion sideline shots of Reid followed by speculation about whether or not this is his final game as Philly coach. It seems likely that it is.
We understand exactly what we need to do. I think the pressure is off of us a little bit. We've just got to go out there and play football. I feel like there's no pressure for us. We've just got to go out there and take care of business and we understand that.
-- Victor Cruz
I am not sure this is the right song for today, but since it is the last time we might see this core group of Giants together I chose to offer this for your listening pleasure today:
In Case You Missed It
Here are the best stories from Big Blue View this week:
NEW YORK GIANTS
CB - Hamstring
DT - Knee
CB Jayron Hosley - Quadriceps
WR - Knee
S - Knee
DE - Shoulder
C - Hip/Shoulder
RB - Knee/Foot
S - Hamstring
G - Hip
DT Fletcher Cox - Concussion
LB Mychal Kendricks - Concussion
TE - Back
RB - Toe
WR - Calf/Hamstring
RB - Hamstring
WR - Knee
G - Ankle