Good morning and happy NFL Draft Eve! I am guessing many of you have made plans to enjoy the draft tomorrow night (and beyond). I myself have taken Friday off and am sleeping at a close friend's house who is a nutso Cowboys fan and draftnik. My plan is that we'll alternate guesses on who each pick will be, and each name we get correct wins us one craft beer to be purchased at a more sober time. Despite the time investment and pissing off my wife (who, did I mention, managed to get pregnant despite having a fully functioning IUD in place correctly -- 0.6% guys, so don't get too comfortable!) I have really enjoyed picking up some knowledge heading into this thing. Let's do it again next year, eh?
Now it's time to introduce "Mr. Probably Quite Relevant," who fittingly will be selected by one of our more avid talent evaluators, "ct17." Mr. 17 chose the Seahawks, and grabbed OT Joel Bitonio in the first round. And with the 64th and final pick of the Big Blue View FanPost Mock Draft, he selects...
Nope. Not Jimmy Garoppolo! Not AJ McCarron or Zach Mettenburger, either. But seriously, more than 4 QBs will have to go in the first 2 rounds of the real deal!
He also somehow passes on Angelo Niforatos, the 155-pound Punter / Kicker out of Central CT State University (I don't know how you pass on that kind of versatility).
No, the first ever "Mr. Probably Quite Relevant" is ...
Demarcus Lawrence, DE, from Boise State.
The highest ranked player left on my board. Small in stature, but quick with good arm length. Seattle made the decision this year to let go of Bryant and keep Bennett long term. In keeping Bennett they lost Tate. Avril is a free agent next year and will get a good contract with another solid season. Drafting Lawrence allows them to let Avril leave and frees up money for other priorities.
The final tally on position picks was:
DE: 4 (Kareem Martin and Scott Crichton left on the board!)
Here are all the picks:
1. Houston Texans (kev86) -- Jadeveon Clowney, DE / Clowney's once-in-a-generation talent trumps the need for a QB.
2. St. Louis Rams (S. McC sub pick) -- Greg Robinson, OT / Rams' OL is in tatters. Would have liked to make this pick at 5 or 6.
3. Jacksonville Jaguars (88 the Great) -- Teddy Bridgewater, QB / This team needs its franchise QB badly.
4. Cleveland Browns (New York!) -- Khalil Mack, OLB / Browns go BPA looking to get sacks by pairing potential No. 1 with Barkevious Mingo at OLB.
5. Oakland Raiders(The Evil Zild) -- Sammy Watkins, WR / Gives new QB Matt Schaub a target and will help put points on the board. Last clear "Tier 1" player available.
6. Cincinnati Bengals (GiantBuckeye from ATLANTA) -- Jake Matthews, OT /Immediately replace LT hole, putting it on Dalton to use his weapons to deliver in the playoffs -- now.
7. Cleveland Browns (New York! from TAMPA BAY) -- Mike Evans, WR / Create a fearsome WR tandem to boost offense.
8. Minnesota Vikings (gobs10) -- Blake Bortles, QB / BPA at our greatest position of need. With apologies to Matt Cassel, if we win 11 games we expect to make the playoffs.
9. Buffalo Bills (Revenge of the Blackshirts) -- Eric Ebron, TE / Edges out Lewan because of OL depth in the draft; provides a top-flight weapon on offense.
10. Detroit Lions (dravs13) -- Anthony Barr, OLB / Top talent could boost sack numbers and the draft is deeper at corner.
11. Tennessee Titans (The Curse) -- Taylor Lewan, OT/ Between DB and OL Lewan is the higher-projected player at at a position of more need and may benefit recent investment Chase Warmack.
12. New York Giants (Invictus XI) -- Aaron Donald, DT / Better feeling about this riser's potential than adding to a stocked secondary or Taylor "Barfight" Lewan.
13. St. Louis Rams (wangstu13) -- Justin Gilbert, CB / Paired with Janoris Jenkins, Gilbert gives the Rams potentially 2 shutdown corners as the top CB in the draft.
14. Chicago Bears (Invictus for Drizzzy) -- Darqueze Dennard, CB / Bolsters the Bears' ailing secondary.
15. Pittsburgh Steelers (CTBIGBLUE) -- Odell Beckham Jr., WR / With ideal targets gone, Pitt takes the top WR and will look to bolster the pass rush later in the draft rather than reach.
16. San Francisco 49ers (Zobster) -- Kyle Fuller, CB / Covers for the 49ers CB exodus as top talent is becoming a premium.
17. Baltimore Ravens (SMC for pataroons) -- Ha'sean Clinton-Dix, S / Ravens get a bit of a steal here at a top area of need after considering Moseley and Martin.
18. New York Jets (KevinGo) -- Calvin Pryor, S / Receiving targets are more of a sweet spot in the next round and safety is a need.
19. Miami Dolphins (Markfg) -- Zack Martin, OT / Major need, and doesn't have any sisters for Richie Incognito to defile.
20. Arizona Cardinals (BBSB Times 4 and counting) -- Ryan Shazier, OLB / At No. 11 on WalterFootball's big board, this talented LB gets forgotten behind Mack and Barr but offers speed and pass coverage as well as rush.
21. Green Bay Packers (RangerD) -- Deone Bucannon, S / Big secondary needs in GB and the 2nd-round prospects at MLB look promising.
22. Philadelphia Eagles (Giantstep) -- CJ Moseley, ILB / Between this and a wide receiver, we will draft the guy we had hoped an aging DeMeco Ryans could have been. Mosley is the future.
23. Kansas City Chiefs (TopChief1) -- Marqise Lee, WR / Recent investment in QB means a pass on Manziel and pairing the BPA with Bowe, stretching the field for Jamaal Charles.
24. Atlanta Falcons (Turn and Coughlin) -- Dee Ford, OLB / We like this guy as an athlete and pass rusher who'll speed the Falcons defense into its new 3-4 scheme.
25. San Diego Chargers (rudy2930) -- Louis Nix III, NT / Instant starter at NT.
26. Tampa Bay Buccaneers (BavaroBoy89) -- Johhny
Football Manziel, QB /Extraordinary value over what will happen. There's finally a QB in Tampa Bay!
27. New Orlean Saints (lemonjello) -- Brandin Cooks, WR / This is the game-breaking receiver who will keep the Saints' high-powered offense in gear. And we beat the Times-Picayune's pick of him at 20 by sitting pat!
28. Carolina Panthers (njnas) -- Kelvin Benjamin, WR / Woulda took Cooks!
29. New England Patriots (Troy O) -- Kony Ealy, DE / Pats need a rotational DE and that can be his experience as he grows into the full-time starter.
30. Dallas Cowboys (Simms-McConkey) -- Ra'shede Hageman, DT / Cowboys start their defensive rebuild with a potential monster at their neediest position.
31. Denver Broncos (Rocky Mountain Blue) -- Xavier Su'a-Filo, OG / Between this team's few needs of interior OL and inside LB, this is the best player left, a legit first-rounder who will keep Peyton upright for another shot at the Super Bowl.
32. Seattle Seahawks (ct17) -- Joel Bitonio, OG / Seahawks dip into the interior OL depth for the guy who best fits their scheme.
1 (33). Houston Texans (Kev86) – Derek Carr, QB
2 (34). Washington Redskins (HogHunter) – Cyrus Kouandjio, OT
4 (36). Oakland Raiders (The Evil Zild) – Kyle Van Noy, OLB
5 (37). Atlanta Falcons (Turn and Coughlin) – Morgan Moses, OT
6 (38). Tampa Bay Buccaneers (BavaroBoy89) – David Yankey, OG
7 (39). Jacksonville Jaguars (Nuke) – Will Sutton, DT
8 (40). Minnesota Vikings (gobs10) – Jason Verrett, CB
9 (41). Buffalo Bills (Revenge of the Blackshirts) – Jimmie Ward, S
10 (42). Tennessee Titans (The Curse) – Tom Savage, QB
11 (43). New York Giants (Invictus XI) – Gabe Jackson, OG
12 (44). St. Louis Rams (wangstu13) – Weston Richburg, C
13 (45). Detroit Lions (dravs13) – Allen Robinson, WR
14 (46). Pittsburgh Steelers (CTBIGBLUE) – Stephon Tuitt, DE
15 (47). Dallas Cowboys (Simms-McConkey) – Timmy Jernigan, DT
16 (48). Baltimore Ravens (Pataroons) – Jordan Matthews, WR
17 (49). New York Jets (KevinGo) – Devonte Adams, WR
18 (50). Miami Dolphins (Markfg) – Austin Sefarian-Jenkins, TE
19 (51). Chicago Bears (Drizzy) – Dominique Easley, DT
20 (52). Arizona Cardinals (BBSB Times 4 and counting) – Jawuan James, OT
21 (53). Green Bay Packers (RangerD) – Shane Skov, ILB
22 (54). Philadelphia Eagles (GiantStep) – Cody Latimer, WR
23 (55). Atlanta Falcons from Bengals (Turn and Coughlin) – Troy Niklas, TE
24 (56). San Francisco 49ers (Zobster) – Donte Moncrief, WR
25 (57). San Diego Chargers (rudy2930) – Bradley Roby, CB
26 (58). New Orleans Saints (lemonjello) – Jeremiah Attaochu, OLB
27 (59). Indianapolis Colts (jbacon) – Marcus Smith, OLB
28 (60). Carolina Panthers (njnas) – Antonio Richardson, OT
29 (61). Dallas Cowboys from SF 49ers (Simms-McConkey) – LaMarcus Joyner, S
30 (62). New England Patriots (Simms-McC) – Kelcey Quarles, DT
31 (63). Denver Broncos (Rocky Mountain Blue) – Carlos Hyde, RB
32 (64). Seattle Seahawks (ct17) – DeMarcus Lawrence, DE